Eddie Van Halen

'Back to Future' Walkman

Scene Was Really Me!!!

6/28/2012 3:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

062812_eddie_vanhalen_launch
Eddie Van Halen
swears ... it was really him shredding guitar in that famous scene from "Back to the Future" -- when Marty McFly pops a cassette tape into his walkman ... and blows out his father's eardrums.

Don't pretend like you forgot -- Marty puts on that radiation suit and wakes his dad up with a Van Halen cassette tape, saying, "Silence earthling." IT'S CLASSIC!!! Okay fine, here's the clip.

In the movie, the tape says "Edward Van Halen" on it -- but there's been a lot of speculation over the years about what song it was ... and whether it was even Eddie playing the music ... but yesterday in L.A., the rock legend put the rumors to rest.

Eddie insists it WAS really him on the tape -- but as for whether the guitar lick was part of a real song ... Eddie said it was him "just playing a bunch of noise."

So there you have it. Still awesome.

Pat

That was classic Eddie, No Doubt! I can not believe anyone would question it.

Christy

Eddie is starting to look like a woman. He sort of reminds me of Bruce Jenner....girlie and plastic.

TH

Of Course it was him on the tape. It was a tape of the Van Halen song Eruption. He was the guitarist for that song, so if the song clip was used in the movie...then that was him on the cassette. Why is this news? Can we get TMZ to hire some college graduates? This story is a dumb as the get...

Ghost Rider

I remember that' as if it was just yesterday! some funny & great stuff'' Eddie always knock's it out of the park!! you can tell that it's Eddie'' he has a sound all his OWN! He's always been the best out there'' all the best'' keep on shreddin''

itzkathy

ANY Van Halen fan worth their salt KNOWS it was Eddie!! Even though it was NOT part of any VH song, you can tell by the WAY its played that it WAS HIM!! Geez, people I knew from the second I heard it in the theater the 1st time I EVER SAW IT!!! It is soooo obviously HIM!!! I am such a HUGE fan of the mighty VH that my first born was to be named Edward Alexander, BUT she came out a GIRL so I went with Valerie!! (Back when they were still together)

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2