« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Bad Ass Congressman

Attacks AZ Law

... Using Justin Bieber

6/28/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0628_cspan
This. Is. AWESOME.

Justin Bieber, Jeremy Lin and Geraldo Rivera were thrust right into the center of the controversy surrounding Arizona's "Show Me Your Papers" law ... courtesy of one pissed off congressman.

Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-IL) took the floor of the House of Representatives yesterday and played a game called, "Pick Out the Immigrant" ... in an effort to prove it's impossible for law enforcement to determine someone's citizenship based on their appearance.

Gutierrez -- clearly fired up about the recent Supreme Court ruling backing parts of the SMYP law -- explained, "In Arizona today, all that stands between you and a legal nightmare is whether a police officer feels there is a reasonable suspicion to inquire about your country of origin. Yet, Arizona politicians will tell you with a straight face no less, that they can apply this law without using racial profiling."

To prove them wrong, Gutierrez showed several pictures featuring two famous people and challenged congress to "Pick Out the Immigrant."

Gutierrez concluded, "The point is simple ... the idea that any government official can determine who belongs in America and who doesn't simply by looking at them is completely ridiculous, unfair and un-American ... and yet this absurdity is the law of Arizona."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Dummys

LOOOK YOU dumbasss illegal immigration is big business .IT aint gunna be stop because u want it its a big part of the economy and you just have to deal with it . As for this law its a big waste of money arizona economy sucks ass because of the leadership and because instead of investing that money into job creation and education thier wasting it on this come one open ur eyes to the bigger picture right!!!! Most of the healthcare is used up by old people . why dont we just kill them too right so the rest of us can leave happy cause healthcare is down . EDUCATE URSELF on issues and then maybe this country be better off instead always trying to piont out the blame on someone instead of focusing on.

Joanna

Dumb. Immigrants kill and rape our people. They take from the immigrants who are actually doing what they need to do to become a citizen of our Country. They make it harder for our children to get educated. I'd much rather have my tax dollars spent on US children than illegal immigrants. I heard that a lot of immigrants are going back because of our poor economy. Good. They are one of the reasons why there is pressure. I say show your papers or get out.

UpsideDownTire

* EVERYONE * should carrying proof of their citizenship. * EVERYONE *

david

i cant believe these liberal idiots have already forgot about 9-11

c

Well, duh, there has to be some profiling. Illegal mexicans are from MEXICO...you really think they look like Justin Bieber? But it’s no different from requiring me to have my license when driving. And, really, if they’re not in this country illegally they should have no problem providing do***entation.

ManiacalZebra

As much as I dislike Bieber, I'm pretty sure he's here legally. Canadians seem to be more law-abiding when it comes to entering another country. Sure, there are Canadians like Bieber we wish would go back and stay there, but legal is legal. Sigh.

kevin

I, as an American citizen have no problem with this.
If asked I will gladly confirm I am an American. I believe illegal people in this country should be found and deported. If they want to become legal citizens they can.

Marlena

RETARD! You run a red light you get pulled over and you don't have a D.L. or valid I.D. and never had one - a suspended or expired D.L. means you once had a D.L. - you also cannot provide any proof as to who you are and you speak mangled or no English - guess what? You will be detained until the cop can find out who you are - you could be a wanted murderer or want child molester and an educated guess is that you are an illegal. If you are an "American" citizen or Permanent Resident you have nothing to fear but if you are a criminal or an illegal you should be frearful. Solution: Self Deport.

Truth

HOWEVER, QUESTIONING THE IDIOT BRAT KID ASS BIEBER WOULD AUTOMATICALLY DETERMINE HE'S THE IMMIGRANT. CERTAINLY DETERMINE HE'S AN UNEDUCATED MORON TO BEGIN WITH - "SIXTEEN CHAPEL". NUFF SAID! #TRUTH!!

JC

Come on... There are plenty of people who have come to this Country on a Work/Student/Tourist visas and stayed here after it expires.. (Europeans Included) and while here legally they are able to get an ID/License and they are not asked to show proof that you are in the Country legally if you are just "Renewing" your license so don't give the argument that just because someone has an ID they are Citizens or here legally.

Aaron

Real simple to me, all those people should have a United States Drivers License. So seems easy to understand, if you do not have one of those I am going to ask to see your green card and i you do not have one of those then back to Mexico with you..!! Ask everyone if they have one I dont care...

doc9

America is going crazy! Just enjoy life be free smoke weed if u can/do. Live in this melting pot of cultures. I love all who are real American and those who wish to be American. As long as u dont f&uc with my country (USA) u won't have a problem with me. So enjoy life and be happy.

Use your brain

I think it's a pretty good clue they might be illegal if they can't speak english..

obama'saracist

ok so maybe we just open the borders and lets the mexicans do what ever they want when and where.hows that working out california,stockton illegal is illegal and what we have been doing isnt working

mike hunt

He's actually wrong. If you've ever been in a less prosperous neighborhood, it is plain to see who the immigrant is. It's usually those who speak no english, have a trashed abode with too many people in it and welfare/ section 8/ EBT benefit cards/letters are all over the place.