Savannah Guthrie

To Take Ann Curry's Chair

TOMORROW

6/28/2012 4:40 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0628_savannah_guthrie_ann_curry_article
Ann Curry
's chair isn't even cold yet ... but "Today" producers have already lined up a new ass to fill it for tomorrow's show ... and it belongs to Savannah Guthrie -- the woman who will replace Curry.

NBC sources tell us, Savannah will be anchoring with Matt Lauer Friday ... and it's "likely" they will formally announce the big switch during the show.

We're told the reason it's likely is because Matt is on vacation all next week for the holiday -- and the network wants to announce his new co-host while he's still around ... to show a united front.

TMZ broke the story ... Ann would be getting the chop after Matt made it clear he didn't want to work with her anymore. The declining ratings at "Today" didn't help.

After Ann's emotional exit announcement on Thursday's show, sources say she was in no mood to talk ... and kept quiet by herself in the studio until it was time to leave.

During exit negotiations, Ann had previously demanded the remaining $20 million of her co-hosting contract -- but NBC didn't want to pay her that kinda cash. It's unclear what kind of payout Ann will get, but our sources say NBC offered $10 mil.

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

P

Savannah has no top lip. It drives me crazy. My vote is for Natalie!

Supermom

NBC handled this so poorly. Ann Curry is an excellent journalist. Guthrie is a shadow who pales by comparison, which is what Matt Laurer wants. He needs to be able to build himself up somehow. What a shame! I, too, will be changing the channel.

miamigirl

Never like Ann in that chair, so I get the firing. But Savannah Guthrie??? Bad move NBC. I can't stand her at all, and I predict ratings will continue to fall

wildvanilla

Poor Matt. I stopped watching the program the day he started thinking he WAS the show. He isn't the show, He is a Dan Rather wanna-be. I'll watch the other morning show instead of a show with him in it. I have no opinion one way or the other on the replacement, Just on the JERK who thinks he IS that show

Eleanor Fillipino

We are tired of looking at Matt Lauer's balding head. At least give him a decent hair transplant.

Lillyrose125

Typical of corporations and men at the top. Always blame the woman and get rid of her for another. They could have handled this with much more class. Corporations wonder why employees have no loyalty anymore.

JoanK

Bad move NBC. I will never watch Today again unless it's to see forever boring, stuck on himself Matt Lauer leave and court reporter (where she belongs) Savannah get the axe. What little "class" they had is gone now, and that includes "My People" Al. Also Cathy Lee and Hoda's booze-day Tuesday is just what you want your teenager to watch, but I quit watching them a long time ago. Will switch to Good Morning America and get some news instead of insipid gossip. If they thought their ratings were dropping before, they haven't seen anything yet.....maybe they'll put on a good movie and just get rid of the whole bunch of them......

MaLi

LoL...these people make way too much money for morning tv!!!

johnconners

Matt Lauer is a big part of the problem with Today. That and the programming....Octa Mom, Dugger Family, Dina Lohan, what people eat for breakfast...please. Capus your a moron for giving the "Nose" that big contract. GMA here I come !

Dina

And you thought you were working with a kind-hearted, fair LIberal, huh, Ann? They are all hypocrites. Wake up and smell the hypocrisy.

Mee

Oh Savannah,
WHAT WAS YOUR ALLURE?
Definetly not those scarry bushy eyebrows and old maid, matronly paper thin lips !

La Vonne Iron Wing

since 1997 ann curry has all ways been inspiriting to her fans, matt, hes too stiff necked???? i really dont care to watch nbc any more!!!!!

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9