Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes Divorce

SCIENTOLOGY

Was Her Breaking Point

6/29/2012 1:27 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0629-katie-tom-4
Katie Holmes
filed for divorce primarily over Tom Cruise's fierce ties to Scientology, fearing that Tom would drag Suri deep into the church ... sources connected with the couple tell TMZ.

Our sources say ... Katie has never been fully committed to Scientology, even though she has had ties with the church.  We're told the couple had been arguing over Suri -- that she's now of the age where Scientology becomes a significant part of her life.

Sources familiar with the split tell us Katie is filing for sole legal custody -- as we first reported -- specifically because she does not want Tom to control decisions relating to religion.

Sources have told us that the divorce is NOT about money -- we're told Katie doesn't need Tom's money ... because she has plenty of it ... and will be well taken care of under the terms of the prenup.

To give you an idea of how fierce Tom's ties to the Church are -- a video featuring the actor discussing what Scientology means to him leaked onto YouTube in 2008. You gotta watch the whole thing.

What the?

Plus he likes ****.

What the?

Plus he loves c*ck

Larry R. Humberd

She wore a fake pregnancy balloon for MONTHS on Church orders and NOW she bails? Must be Tom's "personal trainer" time that bothers her...

LuvLeeRita

Tom Cruise + Mimi Rodgers + Nicole Kidman + Katie Holmes = FAIL. What a KOOK. I guess Scientology does work... LMAO!

Paul B

What's the bet she is not alive in 5 years. Car crash? Drug overdose?

jabby

He's an a$$. Why doesn't he marry someone who's already a member instead of trying to find women to convert.

josephgein

Another breaking point was Tom's ties to the hard, Cuban coq community. He loves to wrassle and slurp. Yummy.

Seattleite

He's crazy...

LuvLeeRita

Tom Cruise put your money where your mouth is... I need money to pay my mortgage. Yep, I thought so.

happypat35

Reportedly, Suri is not Tom's daughter. Katie knows this and will probably use it as leverage. Good luck Katie! Free Katie and Suri!!

Mr.Velvet

These scientology ****ers are just as crazy as the mormons.

denise

aurprised it took this long

judi

just glad she is getting out!! she look so miserable !

happypat35

I remember naive Katie from the beginning stating that she and Tom slept in separate bedrooms....She's older and wiser now......

helen

I think there is some truth to the Scientology argument- Nicole virtually lost her kids and I'm guessing that's one of the driving forces behind 'Rabbit Hole'. However maybe it (Scientology) is is an easy target. ( Also Katie rubbed it in willingly saying that "the kids (nicoles) call me Mom").

BTW the Premiere where they avoided each other was for The Hours. Nicole arrived with Naomi Watts holding her hand and totally avoided each other arriving at separate times. What I do remember is that TOM made a really sly comment to the cameras by saying "shes a great actress". That was the moment I turned off Tom Cruise completely. I'll try and find it.

You know I was only today talking about why Suri is constantly photographed. She has been Katie Holmes Lonely picture buddy for the list 5 years and now we are in for even more. Great.