Tom Cruise

& Katie Holmes

Divorcing

6/29/2012 10:40 AM PDT UPDATED: 6/29/2012 3:13 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes to Divorce.

update_bar
11:05 AM PT -- Katie filed the papers
-- and Tom was "blindsided." Katie wants sole legal custody and "primary residential custody" of Suri.

0314_divider_graphic
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting DIVORCED ... after 5 years of marriage.

Katie's attorney, Jonathan Wolfe released a statement saying, "This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family."

Wolfe adds, "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interest."

TMZ has learned Katie filed the docs in NYC ... and wants SOLE custody of Suri.

We're told Tom and Katie have a prenup.  The net worth of both Tom and Katie is around $275 mil, but clearly Tom raked in most of that.

For what it's worth, Katie did not attend any of the "Rock of Ages" premieres.

Tom and Katie have one child together, Suri, who is 6-years-old.

49-year-old Tom has 2 children from his previous marriage to Nicole Kidman. He was also married to actress Mimi Rogers from 1987 to 1990.

Cruise and 33-year-old Holmes were married in November 2006 in a lavish ceremony held at an Italian castle.  The split was first reported by People.com.

Tom has been spotted in Iceland this week where he's been shooting a movie called "Oblivion."

0629_tom_crouise_iceland_Splash3Katie and Suri have been spotted in NYC all week. Katie was still wearing her wedding ring.

0629_katie_holmes_nyc_article_2
update_bar
Update #1 -- Sources tell TMZ ... Scientology was a major factor in Katie's decision to pull the plug on the marriage.

Update #2 -- Tom and Katie were HOLDING HANDS in Iceland just 2 weeks before Katie filed for divorce ... more proof Tom was truly "blindsided" by Katie's decision to end the marriage.

0629_tom_katie_footer

Ms Kris

what time does your stop watch have Mr Short Divorce?

kronenburg

She must have negotiated a 5-year contract with Tom, instead of the much-too-binding 10-year contract Nicole entered into.

Larry

Average Joes like me think that all you need is an over abundance of money, and you will never have issues in life. I am happy that she escaped the cult.

cokeandpilates

Only one child in six years. I guess the Scientology breeding program didn't take off the way they had hoped!!! They always looked like they were trying WAY too hard. There was nothing real there, it was all for show. She never seemed happy, he always came across like the crazy, controlling a$$hole he is and ultimately, their little girl is the one who suffers. Hope she at least gets a decent severance package.

DizzKid

Tom Cruise now hides deeper in the closet, with John Travolta too!!!!

This story making me angry, SO I PULL OUT MY GUN! Oh I love South Park. :D.

jenna

Not shocking at all to me.

Majestik

I'm reminded of the interview with Nicole Kidman on David Lettermen, "At least I can wear heels again". I nearly fell off the couch laughing.

Cheryl

Tom always seamed asexual to me. The only thing he got horny for was Scientology. I'd marry him just for the perks. Frankly I think he fires blanks and that's not his kid.

Beach

I wonder if she will take an HIV test? I'd insist on one before I was with her....

Richard Tamasy

About Time She deserves better maybe now her career can go the direction it should can you say academy award Best Actress

Caroline

Not really a surprise. Hope she can extract herself from Scientology too.

6one9

Mid life crisis much TOM???????
Gonna be ``50``` in a few days!!!!!!!!!!!
Happy 50th `````````` TOM!!

Melissa

Now she can finally be with Dawson.... ah, fate.

barnyardhumor

Thanks to Tom and Katie for knocking pimpmama Jenner off the lead story. Vile woman.

Majestik

Are we going to be seeing some damage control for Will and Jada? It was just about a year ago, was it not that the rumours were flying about those two and they started a PR campaign to prove all was fine in Smithsville. First Travolta, then Cruise. Something tells me a HUGE POW WOW is being held at the Scientology head office. They'll have to start paying big bucks for all the other FAMOUS cultist to have nothing but "HAPPY THOUGHTS".