Tom Cruise

& Katie Holmes

Divorcing

6/29/2012 10:40 AM PDT UPDATED: 6/29/2012 3:13 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes to Divorce.

update_bar
11:05 AM PT -- Katie filed the papers
-- and Tom was "blindsided." Katie wants sole legal custody and "primary residential custody" of Suri.

0314_divider_graphic
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting DIVORCED ... after 5 years of marriage.

Katie's attorney, Jonathan Wolfe released a statement saying, "This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family."

Wolfe adds, "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interest."

TMZ has learned Katie filed the docs in NYC ... and wants SOLE custody of Suri.

We're told Tom and Katie have a prenup.  The net worth of both Tom and Katie is around $275 mil, but clearly Tom raked in most of that.

For what it's worth, Katie did not attend any of the "Rock of Ages" premieres.

Tom and Katie have one child together, Suri, who is 6-years-old.

49-year-old Tom has 2 children from his previous marriage to Nicole Kidman. He was also married to actress Mimi Rogers from 1987 to 1990.

Cruise and 33-year-old Holmes were married in November 2006 in a lavish ceremony held at an Italian castle.  The split was first reported by People.com.

Tom has been spotted in Iceland this week where he's been shooting a movie called "Oblivion."

0629_tom_crouise_iceland_Splash3Katie and Suri have been spotted in NYC all week. Katie was still wearing her wedding ring.

0629_katie_holmes_nyc_article_2
update_bar
Update #1 -- Sources tell TMZ ... Scientology was a major factor in Katie's decision to pull the plug on the marriage.

Update #2 -- Tom and Katie were HOLDING HANDS in Iceland just 2 weeks before Katie filed for divorce ... more proof Tom was truly "blindsided" by Katie's decision to end the marriage.

0629_tom_katie_footer

Clytemnestra

With nearly half of ALL marriages ending in divorce, it doesn't take much to realize how bad the odds are for a Hollywood marriage. Anybody who's been married knowed how painful it is regardless of how rich or famous you are.

hi

Short people like Tom Cruise are very controling.I know a woman who is short and bossy next time i see her if she talks s**t to me i will put her in her place and knock her teeth out LOL

Clytemnestra

So much for all of that jumping up and down on Oprah's couch. Still the failure of their marriage should not really be cause for rejoicing by so many of the posters here today. The two of them are more than just pictures and stories in the tabloids.

David Wells

I am surprised it lasted as long as it did!

Simone

BLINDSIDED ? ? ?

Don't think so. I'll bet that CREEP cruise had KH followed everywhere, house & phone bugged and GPS on all vehicles.

Plus you know all bills, like her cell phone bill, went to his office so he could track her.

It will be interesting to see if KH can get away from the cult.

Karma

Tom Cruise likes guys...He should just come out of the Scientology closet holding hands with his lover John Travolta...Congrats Katie you are leaving the occult and the public welcomes you back with open arms! Poor girl was probably neglected and controlled

LaLa

Is that Andrea Riseborough in the pic? Same pale skin??

Throwback kid

Now Katie can marry the real love of her life, C list actor and alcoholic Chris Klein! I wish these two crazy kids the best!

kgg

What happened to getting to know one another before deciding to create another human being? Is that too old fashioned of me? Are children just accessories now? It's bugs me that selfish, rich idiots do things like this for publicity and never seem to think about the innocent kids who get dragged through their muck, too.

Meme

I don't know all things Tom Cruise but I remember some statements he made about the type of stewardesses allowed to serve him.....My guess here is that Katie is in full mommy mode. The problems probably started when Suri hit about 2 years old. Now she is school age and he probably wants some wierd schooling for her that Katie doesn't want. He also probably sees Katie as a Mommy now instead of his hot wife so he treats her poorly. It's difficult to get full legal custody unless he's done something that has caused or will cause Suri harm. Probably the outcome of two people who weren't well matched to begin with. Just guessin........

thousandmillion

duhs blitch tahwas plishin dah hos times.ploor olt timmy muse couldnt loose som million or 22s.Ted&tom shood b a great movos

IceGypsy

I must admit I am a lil surprised. Personally I always found him creepy and weird, but they seemed happy together.

Geoffrey

I have always thought this marriage was a sham. I have a funny feeling the guy has some closet issues just like John Travolta. I never thought he was straight.

Frankie

I love Tom, but he's like the male Elizabeth Taylor.

chelchel

It's about time she got away for that control freak, he thinks his God, crazy.