Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

Carla628

PPL are being fooled and becoming part of a lifestyle that is not of GOD.

phewghull

this admission should make it more comfortable for him to come out of the closet as being a total moron as well.

buzz kill

I figure he needed to state the obvious so next week when when we find out he has AIDS we won't be surprised.

Lee

Go Anderson!! I love that guy. He'll always be my silver fox.

sean

Good for him!

diamondsaredumb

I just love Anderson, he's one of the most articulate young journalists in the media today. I've always had a crush on him, but it's not like I ever stood a chance even if he was heterosexual so I am just glad that he is happy.

rocky

surely as shocking as the latest tomkat news. i think this had everything to do with don lemon's lead. credit to don. next.....

spokenword

Good for Anderson Cooper. You shouldn't be afraid to be yourself. FTW.

Rachel

The fact is, we don't give a rat's arse.

Sally

Team Cooper - we think you are an excellent host.

Thomas Jefferson

Everybody gets bullied, picked on etc... sometime in their life from all kinds of reasons and it's not just gays.

catie

Good for him!!

sarah

I guess Anderson want to see the movie Magic Mike so bad thtbhe had to fess up. No guys want to see some guys shake his wanger, unless your gay.

MikeP

"Whaaaaaaat?" Good for him, He is awesome, amazing person, gay straight, or whatever.

palermo

Glad he came out when HE was ready, not when somebody else thought he should be.