Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

ray

whatever!!!!!!!!!!1

sargesgiftshop

Musta been a sloooooow news day....
Everybody knew he was a "Peter Puffer" for years...

Runaway

No medals from me Anderson. You come out now when it has become almost trendy to be gay? You should have made that statement when your brethern were in the trenches.

Jeff

someone who reads the news and is a television host should know that "incidences" is not a word. One event is an incident. Two or more are incidents.

Curti

You are an ace in my book...greatest journalist on this earth.

Casius

I knew it..not impressed.

Lena

it doesn't matter how much freedom and confidence in his statement that he is a gay but on my opinion it is so ugly....and against nature...I live in Ukraine and it is not typical for our country to see gays on the streets as I saw in the US!!! Thank God...we have so many beautiful and available women...I believe that men don't tend to want to become gays.

Lena

john

Hey Anderson,looks like Tom Cruise is available,maybe you guys could hook up?Of course you'd have to become a scientologist.

mcfloyd

''The Fact Is, I'm Gay''

Hey Andy, the fact is... we've known for a long time.

john

Hey Anderson,looks like Tom Cruise is available,but you'd have to convert to scientology?

Max

DUH!

Emily

Anderson Cooper did not come out for ratings. He probably got tired of being asked.

Ronald R. Johnson

Anderson Cooper GAY, really then I guess that explains why he walks that way! If he takes some lessons from Ellen or Rosie he may one day appear to have some B*lls! Tiny one's, but B*lls!

Emily

I would like to thank every one for there very original remarks on the obviousness of Anderson Cooper being gay. Congratulations! You are focusing on the most ignorant point you can think of. Good job. I am pretty sure he only made a public statement because people seem to really need to know about the sexuality of public figures. It is not his fault that people are nosy and want to know about his sexuality. The sheer number of people commenting on his sexuality proves that people wanted to know.