Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

jules

I think Anderson is the best! I think he and Kathy Griffin should do a show together!! I thought he came out sometime ago, in anycase hes the best!

TheTruth

I was wondering. Are all gay people hard core liberals? Maybe that type of mental illness goes hand in hand.

TheLady530

I think it is great that he openly admitted that. I don't see anything wrong with that. The unopen double dippers are the problem.

Criss

This is news?

Saints fan

If you're so proud, why did it take you so long to come out? SMH Probably looking for attention as an attempt to boost his ratings for his daytime show. For the record, you're not telling us anything that most of us didn't suspect anyways.

keisha912

Its about time ......next Queen Latifah lol

Kari

I am not gay, but I am very proud of Anderson for this. He's a class act. I hope it helps shut down the bullies.

TONYA

go coop!

dd

Love You Anderson...

Jannie

Shocker

jo

Much respect Anderson. I always wondered why or how you could do specials covering bullying and suicide among gay kids and teens and still stay quiet. I didn't judge as I was not in your shoes and I do get that having that fact made public while covering stories, in person, in the Middle East can absolutely put ones life at risk. I hope you help others with this move and doesn't prevent you from continuing to report on important issues from other countries. Salute.

It's Dave

Uh, Anderson, everybody already knew. Get over yourself.

self-employed

Duh. Didn't we already figure that one out?

Pudding Tang

Who would have thought he's a happy giggler diggler ???

Felicia

The fact is, this wasn't a secret. But there is value in saying it out loud. Just as he said about the bullying, it's always important for people to see others make it through. Not everyone is luck to have support. I hope that others who are struggling can look to people like Anderson Cooper and feel stronger.