Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

Previous 15 Comments | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20

NoMoreKoolAid

Is Anderson's sexual preference (like no one knew) what passes for news now? Really? What a stupid piece of whatnot is this. Un-news.

catalinda8

Glad you came out, Anderson. It's kind of too bad it took so long, but that's understandable, considering the climate, especially recently. You have plenty of fans and supporters, so good for you,and I hope everything goes well for you.

TonyCassano

honestly, WHO FING CARES? who cares if u like p**is or not? who cares???? stop with the publicity stunt, because whatever u like to do behind closed doors, should stay there...give us the fing news....your a reporter, not a movie actor....****

warzone

Was there ever any doubt?
A hack is a hack- he'd have to have some advantage to stay on the air- Being a confection-shipping Vanderbilt would do it.

alan

wow, shocking. The guy lives in nyc with his lover and they walk around all the time. No big deal

GAL

who cares. doesn't private mean anything anymore.

jenfitz