Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

Ben

Old News Who cares.

Bitch please

Unfortunately this will hurt his career. His rating will go down. Watch. And that is why it took forever him debating to come out. You'll see. Hence why Tom Cruise hasnt came out. Anderson is most likely looking to retire in the near future since he publicly announced this.

Lala

It's about DAMN TIME ANDY!!! Although we would have to be DEAF DUMB and BLIND not to already know this... I USE to be a fan of AC... but when he started "running his mouth" ref. young LGTB people/suicides/bullying and kept MUM about his own "preference" he lost my support... although I applaude him for FINALLY feeling "happy and comfortable" with himself to "come out"... he's had MANY MANY opportunities...

Jim in Cali

Cooper comes out and admits: yes its true, I do have a show on CNN

Jamie

I thought he came out like 10 yrs ago

Bitch please

Why do gay people cry for equality and when they get treated equal they cry about that. SMH Never satisfied.

Gatanegra

Nicely done Mr. Cooper!

Jodi

Everyone already knew Anderson Cooper was gay so how is that breaking news?

Anderson Cooper or any other celeb will not stop the bullying of gays. It was even worse when I was little. Bullying gays is ignorant, just like being prejudice against a person because of their skin color is Ignorant. The hearts of people have to change before the prejudice and bullying stop for good. Some people will change but not enough to make a difference. So very sad but true.

GetOverYourself

In other breaking news.....the sky is blue and water is wet!

shewentwhoa

I love him!!!

Gloria Unread

What always surprises me is when so-called "obviously" gay celebrities are hammered for not coming out, or are publically outed - and often by other gay celebrities.
Comments like "We all know you're gay,so just come out already!" Well, if we 'all know' anyway, then what does it matter? It feels like bullying, usually by folks who cry about being bullied.
That's great that Anderson feels he can be publically open about his sexuality now, but he shouldn't have been made to feel that he *had* to do so.

Cashmere

Gasp....lol

w

I am shocked, I had no idea...the fact is that giggle he has gave it away a looong time ago.

Jah36

So Mr. Cooper is a sick pervert. Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

scoopie

whether or not you support the gay movement, this is a guy you have to admire.. what I personally like is that he just lives his life and doesn't shove the "message" down everyone's throats