Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

bbbbbbb40

Here's a video about Anderson's boyfriend!

Rich

wow, finally, Now he will get respect like Harvey.

Cashmere

Truth is I'm heterosexual.....people shouldn't care one way or the other, but I wasn't surprised. Hope he is happy.

Dawn

I still love you....

Bruno

Really? I would have never guessed it. (rolls eyes)

Jodi

Everyone already knew Anderson Cooper was gay so how is this breaking news?

Anderson Cooper or any other celeb will not stop the bullying of gays. It was even worse when I was little. Bullying gays is ignorance just like being prejudice against a person because of their skin color is Ignorant. The hearts of people have to change before the prejudice and bullying stop for good. Some people will change but not enough to make a difference. So very sad but true.

Kali

YAY!!!!!! Team Cooper!!!!! One love people. One love. Thank you!!!

CN

Yea Andy Coop! What a relief, huh? LOVE you!

Justin

I love Anderson, Great for him. He does great and I commend him for coming out and staying proud for who he is. He is gorgeous and a defining man of today.

barb

I think you are a great journalist and have always enjoyed your intelligent, yet sensitive work. thank you Coop !

Debbie Hewitt

I SOOOOO called this (along with EVERYONE else, lol)! lol GO Coop!

TheLady530

Well I think it is great that he has openly admitted that. Nothing wrong with that.

barnyardhumor

Good for him!

VW

Regardless of his sexual orientation, I have a lot of respect for Anderson. He could have lived a pampered life on all that Vanderbilt money but he's worked very hard and I think he's great at what he does.

bb

I don't think he's ever really been "in the closet" like say Travolta, he's just never been an activist or spoken out about his sexuality. It's great that he has the guts to speak out now though.