Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

saynotolies

Good for you Anderson! Maybe now, others will come forward as well...Then, and only then, things will change for the better. We need more famous people to come forward, so it will make a difference. I'm sure there's a few in this "major political party" that are gay as well!!!! I'm very happy for you, and a little sad Anderson...you're just so darn handsome, and very cute when you giggle!!

Joey

shocking i always thooght that was just shy. duh!!

Tammy

Anderson, the whole world knew you were a homosexual. Now, if Clooney would come out, you two can stop hiding your relationship.

KAREN Christopher

You Rock Anderson!!

annie2

Not impressed. He could have come out a long time ago. He works for the most liberal news channels going and would not have seen his career suffer. I think he enjoyed the "Is he? or Isn't he?". He didn't want to see his female fans potentially lose interest...which wouldn't have happened. Plenty of gay men out there I still salivate over! Hell, I still wish George Michael weren't gay, lol. I know it's his life, but if he was out to everyone else (supposedly) in his life, and it has been rumored for eons in the public, I think he did no one any favors (especially the bullied kids he says he cares about) by keeping it otherwise secret from the public.

al baby

So Cooper likes it in the Pooper

Mulholland Drive

It wasn't exactly a secret Anderson.

John Walker

The rest of his comment ........

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, .. and **** tastes deeeeelicious !!!

Noel

Gee, as if the planet didn't know. I've just never understood why folks that "just want to be accepted" have to make such a big deal out of their sexual habits. I like Anderson, now he's just pandering and it's beneath him.

Ok, I admit it, I'm heterosexual...can I get a new conference, some special laws and a pat on the back?

6one9

Websites have been calling him Mah Boo
for many years!
Glad he's out
and proud!!
AS he ~~
Should be!!

msdawndawn

Anderson it is so brave of you coming out at the tail end of string of stars announcing their proclivities. What a very hard decision it must have been to put on a front to the public all these years feeling like you had to hide in order to achieve your current success. And now that you are successful & secure in the world - now you come out? You are so very brave. (in case you missed it - this is sarcasm). No body cares Anderson!

Elizabeth

Err. I knew he was gay. Um, I don't think he ever made it a secret, did he? I mean, I don't think he ever was closeted, and I think he's been open about it all along, so...this really isn't news.

truc10

this is news to me. but arent most liberals, well, you know......GAY?

AbsolutelyFab

And here I was thinking I couldn't love this guy any more than I already do. Well, I WAS WRONG!!!! YOU GO ANDERSON!!!!!

Ih8Taxes

You see Biebs, if he can come out of the closet why can't you?