Anderson Cooper

'The Fact Is, I'm Gay'

7/2/2012 8:42 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

Anderson Cooper ... The fact is, I am gay.
Anderson Cooper has revealed ... he's gay and he's proud.

Cooper made the announcement in a letter to Andrew Sullivan, who was doing a story for TheDailyBeast.com about the social impact of famous people who come out as gay.

Sullivan reached out to Cooper for his thoughts, to which Anderson replied with a letter.

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages, based on their sexual orientation, and I believe there is value in making clear where I stand," Cooper wrote.

"The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud."

"I have always been very open and honest about this part of my life with my friends, my family, and my colleagues. In a perfect world, I don't think it's anyone else's business, but I do think there is value in standing up and being counted. I’m not an activist, but I am a human being and I don't give that up by being a journalist."

0702_out_footer

William

Oh, lucky us, we get to learn of another celebrity's sexual orientation. I don't know how I'd get through my day, without this news.

sheesh

glad he finally came out. Everyone already knew, and it always felt like he was hiding it. Love him!!!

Fibb

All you Gay Homos are going to burn in Hell......

3Storms

The liberal leftist agenda to shove homosexuality down everyone's throats is everywhere now. WHO CARES? DOES THIS EFFECT A JOURNALIST'S ABILITY TO BE IMPARTIAL AND PROFESSIONAL? Holy crap. It's like he doesn't want to be taken seriously and just wants to use the gay card now.

Truth

"There continue to be far too many incidences of bullying of young people, as well as discrimination and violence against people of all ages" ---- BUT, it's just great to bully people that don't cheerlead gays and just great to discriminate against and attack those people that don't cheerlead gays. I don't care about your gay and I don't have to approve it. Go be happy now.

LCS27

Bad reporter. He's telling no news at all.

Fibb

Anderson (takes it in the pooper) Cooper, your show sucks & so do you....

stonechops

I like Anderson.

Bethy

Yeah.... well.... we already knew that.

DaveT

Have always liked Anderson, I get why he went public, with others bullied.
It's a gay issue, but more a man's issue.
Lesbians get bullied too, it's important to acknowledge them...but don't go through the extremes that gay men do, or brutal beatings and murders
It's part of society's anti-male attitude, expecting men to fit into a certain so-called "masculine" mold, attacking them if they don't
Hetero men go through it too, but gay men have their homosexuality on top of it that anti-male society shows disgust at, wrongly linking a man's masculinity to his physically intimate lifestyle
Mention a lesbian to a crowd of 20 people, none of the men will care, most of the women won't care.
Mention a gay man to a crowd of 20, most men will get mad, spew insults, some will think of beating the gay man bloody.
Most women will get mad, say it's disgusting, spew emasculating insults, some will want the gay man beaten and won't care if he dies.
We had a gay man murdered in a few counties over, four guys tricked him to meet them, tied him up, shoved sticks up his nose into his brain, then stabbed him to death after he crawled around with brain injury.
Normal compassionate people were disgusted by the murder, but not all.
Men and women both who were anti-gay agreed with the murder, preached their anti-gay message, and even made jokes about it

Selebraties Suck

This was breaking news - what, five years ago?

parlayer

Proud??? why did you wait so long if it's something your proud of??? another ankle grabber in the main stream media. although he is better looking (more feminine than Ann curry.)

ManiacalZebra

Is anyone surprised by this? We've all known for a long time and no one's cared. He is who he is. No label can change that. It's good that people can feel more comfortable coming out, but it shouldn't matter to anyone. Those he is close to liked him for who he is all of this time. Those of us who have never met him are affected in no way, shape, or form.

Poopey Poopstein

File this news under "DUH.. but now we have an official reason to hate his ass. Before this, he was just annoying and lacked authenticity. Now he's annoying and gay.. in other news..Obama sucks.

Dennie

Shocker...not. Just thought he'd use one of his own shows to make his declaration.