Katie Holmes

My Marriage to Tom

Was Kaput in 2011

7/2/2012 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0702_katie_holmes_tom_cruise_articleTMZ has learned ... Katie Holmes says her marriage to Tom Cruise was "irretrievably" broken at least 6 months prior to her filing for divorce ... this according to divorce documents filed in New York.

Sources connected to Tom tell TMZ ... Katie's contention is baffling, because he had "no idea" she was about to file for divorce. As the sources told us last week, Tom was "blindsided" by the filing.

Indeed, take a look at the pic (below) of Tom and Katie strolling the streets of Iceland hand-in-hand a little more than 2 weeks ago.

But wait ... there's more.

0702_katie_holmes_tom_cruise_iceland_splashWe've also learned ... Katie claims in her divorce documents that both she and Tom have been residents of New York for "at least 2 years." Katie, who filed in NYC, must establish legal residency in NY in order for the court to have jurisdiction -- something she wants because New York courts are more likely to grant sole custody of Suri.

No doubt ... Tom -- who shared a home with Katie in Beverly Hills for years -- will fight the residency claim tooth and nail.

0702_katie_tom_before_footer

Luvjaq

correct me if im wrong but didnt Katie and Suri (and I now assume Tom) move to NYC when she did her stint on Broadway? I dont think Katie ever really left after that (though Tom of course would have for film roles)

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

I do not like tom or his loony tune religion but katie is a bad actress and a damn lie. She played him and I don't like unfairness.

rebroxanna

Everyone in the world who knows anything about Scientology is 110% behind you, sweetie. Stay strong. Protect Suri. We have been waiting and hoping for this day. You might want to contact, Nicole, Penelope, and Lisa Marie for some support and counsel. Knowledge is Power.

Home Skillet

The look on Katie's face says it all.

Liz

He'll lawyer up with the best of the best. I hope he's not cruel and just lets her move on and be happy once again. Last time I remember seeing her REALLY smiling, was at their wedding.

Rockcandy8

She looks so unhappy here! How can Tom not notice?

Nana

Katie knew what Tom's religion was before she got pregnant by and then eventually married him. His beliefs were not weird to her before she committed to him. It was her choice, so it's a shame he is being made a bad guy when she could have ran the other way. Unlike Nicole she had a choice. I still remember interviews she was doing, telling reporter's how Tom's children called her "mom". SMH

mary

well, boo hoo. he didn't tell nicole when her number was up.

Belladonna

I am so glad that she blindsided him. Now maybe he knows how Nicole felt when he blindsided her. He is such an egotistical, self absorbed, delusional, s***bag. I hope Katie takes him for everything he's got. You go girl!!!

Belladonna

Belladonna

I'm so glad she blind sided him. So how's it feel Tom. Now you know what Nicole felt like you s***bag. Take him for all he's worth Katie! You go girl!!!

Wendy

I KNEW this marriage would not work. He is TOO embroiled in that cult that is called Scientology and she is Catholic (just as Nicole is). It was very apparent early on that he is very controlling. I recall him saying to a reporter, "call her Kate, she is a woman now." Is he kidding? She was a woman before she met you! She is very smart to have filed in NYC and kept it close to the best. If anyone has done any research on Scientology, they are to be feared. A lot of money, power and control! I hope she get FULL custody of that little girl, Suri.

Crabby

Katie looks miserable and depressed "strolling hand in hand with Tom in Iceland". Katie is Tom's third wife......he is 16 years older than Kate a fanatical Scientology convert ( he was a Catholic) and although I have always found him to be very cute talented and ambitious I suspect that he is domineering as hell.For those of you who believe that she is leaving/divorcing him secondary to her suddenly being opposed to his Scientology preferences...I highly doubt that. There is much more going on here than we will ever know about. This man has power and his team will create/mastermind whatever media blitz they can to #1. implicate Katie as somehow being wrong/crazy #2 covering up ANY wrongdoing on Tom's part.IF Katie were my daughter and beautiful little Suri my granddaughter I would put them in the witness protection program to shield them from that overbearing cult obsessed bipolar egomaniac. Having said that I LOVE the way Katie came out with her "gloves on"showing Tom he had better be ready for the fight of his ever-loving life:) GO Katie U R too young and pretty to live with that tyrant. Your daughter is precious.

peoplearesilly

Good for her for being SMART and getting her ducks in a row before she bailed. I'm impressed. Tom Cruise is a weirdo and that is the nicest thing I can say about him. I never did like him or his ego. He's evil.

Maraliart

Having a child suddenly makes everything much clearer in the eyes of a Mother!!She's not stupid. She's probably been planning this since she started working on Broadway in 2008 - thus the New York address. BTW her father is a successful divorce attorney - this will be interesting!!! Good luck Katie & Suri!!!!!