Andy Griffith

Already Buried

7/3/2012 12:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0703_andy_griffith_3
Andy Griffith
only passed away a few hours ago -- but TMZ has learned, the Hollywood icon has already been buried.

A rep for Twiford Funeral Homes in Manteo, North Carolina tells us, Andy was buried at 11:30 AM on his family farm on Roanoke Island. We're told Andy had previously requested to be buried immediately after his death ... so that's why it all happened so fast.

We made calls to find out if Andy was embalmed. No one was talking, but we're told it's legal in North Carolina to bury people without embalming them.

We're told Andy's burial followed a small, private service with close friends and family in attendance.

Andy was 86.

LindaJay

He brought much home spun family time to many families. Opie, Aunt Bea, Barn, Floyd...loved that show.

nan

Rest in Peace..I loved that show when I was a kid..There was also a lot of lessons in doing right on that show , that sadly are not the case today

thestupid

Smart and classy to the end. YOU sir are someone I look up to. :)

good as gold

On Andy's tombstone:
"For crying out loud, I just fell asleep, why did they bury me so early?"
I'm sure Andy, Don [Knotts], and George [Lindsay] already have people in stitches up there! R.I.P.

i'm a lawyer!

Well, if you have it all figured before you die there's no need to hang around.

thestupid

I love that man.

Cartman

Muslims require burial within 24 hours.

Tomas Pavelka

please visit Andy's online memorial and contribute with a memory so we can make a HUGE tribute!
please share!

Paul B

TMZ stop milking the story now you bunch ****s. It's boring reading the same rehashed story over and over.

C. LeFevre

I loved Andy Griffith. He reminded so much of my father in looks and otherwise too. What a good man. I wonder how to find more of his music.

Gretel

Good for Andy and the people who loved him, not making a spectacle of his death and burial. I can't help but notice though that someone had talked him into botox and it looks like fillers in his recent pictures. He had such character to his face, that kind of made me sad. Other than that, thanks Andy.

barb

Our body is only a vessel to hold our soul. Once we leave that vessel, it is the shell of us that remains. Being buried without being cremated is a great way to do it. No chemicals to harm the soil and water. He was a great man and a great patriot.

Carl L. Powell

And on July 4th! This was a true American treasure. Many will miss this man.

jen

class act all the way to death.....say hello to paul newman for me please....days of stars is long gone..RIP...i still always skip when i hear the theme song................................thank you....

Butterfly

HAS ANYONE AGED AS BEAUTIFULLY as Andy Griffith? His gentle kindness reflects in his eyes and in his expression. A beautiful, beautiful man to the end. We would not have expected anything, less. Not only that, he also held on to that magnificent head of hair! Sleep Well Andy, and, pleasant dreams knowing you touched millions and millions of grateful hearts!!! Keep the gates open for all of us who will be joining you and your entire cast sooner, or, later. Rest in Peace!