Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

shar

There goes a class act.. RIP Mr. Griffith, safe journey.

Jim

He probably should have been using "Miracle Salve".

lcarlson

I lost all respect for Mr Griffith when he decided to be an AARP representative. At the time Obamacare was being debated and AARP was to push for the approval. He got on TV to endorse this abomination. No respect. He was a good actor.

Afterheart

I had lost all respect for this man after he and Ron Howard made a commercial endorsing Oblunder. We all know the consequences of the endorsement.

bikertrash

America's sheriff my rear end! He was a raving liberal,progressive lunatic and the world is now less one radical.

Sunnyr

I loved all the characters in Mayberry! Andy, Barney, Aunt Bee, Opie, Goober and Gomer.....what a great show. It only lasted 8 years but still lives in all our memories.

RIP, Andy Griffith! Well done, Friend.

lcarlson

I lost all respect for thiws man when he became a spokeman for AARP, at the time he endorsed Obamacare knowing fairwell he would not have to pay for it. He was 84 years at the time. So sad he did that he was a fun actor to watch.

Inagalaxynearyou

Manteo is a beautiful little town between the Albemarle and Pamlico Sounds, and it is fitting that Andy Griffith made his way from Mount Airy by way of Hollywood to the eastern Outer Banks ever in God's country in the State of North Carolina. From the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Piedmont to the Southern Sands of Pinehurst to the sands of the Outer Banks, the state's rugged beauty and Southern hospitality must have tugged at his heart always drawing him back to the place of his youth. Half an hour in fictional Mayberry is food for the soul, and we are always refreshed by a visit there. Andy wasn't just a face in the crowd, he was part of America's heart.

quailblaster

Andy, too bad you were not a spiritual person and probably awaiting hellfire as I type. Too bad your politics were so radical it would make Obama take notice, oh wait, you voted for Obama.

Areader

Andy Griffith was a good man....He will be missed.....My prayers go out to Andy's family.

Big Boy Pants

RIP Andy. Thank you for all the years of entertainment.

Kevin

One less useful idiot.

Jon

RIP Andy....you'll be missed. Say a big HEY to Barney and Goober from all of us.

Jack Montgomery

Awww, I know he was an actor and the show was not reality but, "Andy Taylor" was my image while growing up, of a loving, caring father. So many times, I dreamed of having the relationship he had with "Opie." It kept me going through many dark days. Rest in blessed peace and thanks so much Andy.

nudist23937

RIP Sheriff Taylor. To little space to say how I feel about such a great person. God Blessed us with you. Prayers go out to your family and friends.