Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

Jack Montgomery

I know he was an actor and the show was not reality but, "Andy Taylor" was my image of a loving, caring father. Many times in my childhood, I dreamed of having the relationship he had with "Opie." It kept me going through many dark days and gave me a positive male image to model myself after. Rest in blessed peace and thanks so much Andy.

JOHNATHON WEBER

I still whistle the theme song to this day, wow times have changed, this show would now be considered racist...

dale12

Heres to the wonderful iconic cast of "The Andy Griffith Show" Thank you Andy, & Godspeed, you will be missed...imho

TexasForever

That's one less vote for Obama in November.
Can you take another Obama vote with you..... Ronny Howard?

bill

After Andy and Opie went public as shills for Mr. Obama and the radical left of the democrat party I have never watched either of their sappy reruns. Both are/were Hollywood millionaire socilists, what a conundrum.

George

Even my young grand sons will miss Andy, they love to watch the reruns , just good fun and the good guys win

MadCharles

Most of these actors are pretty good until they get all the money. Then their true wacko side shows up as did this actor.

Pat Laughlin

As Bob Hope sang, "Thanks for the memories". I'm fortunate to have grown up when, in my opinion, TV was at its best; thanks to acters like Andy Griffith. R.I.P. Andy.

Goober

You were a great man, the only mistake you made Andy was not slapping the $hit out of Ron Howard

Robert M

I believe Andy Griffith was every bit a good and decent man as the role he played as Sherrif so many years ago. You can just tell about a person. He was a good man and brought a remarkable amount of hapinnes to many lives - certainly to mine. Rest in Peace Andy.

Bill

I rejoice at his passing for he is surely with the Father now. He didnt just talk about a christian life, he lived it. RIP.

MissingRonnieR

On days like today you realize how meaningless most politicians are. Today this generation has lost a true friend. Andy Griffith was a star and then a legend that never let America down. He was your dad and your granddad at their best. There is no one else like him and that is a shame. Hero’s do not always play sport, have power, or possess women. Some times they are honest, and simple people who regardless of success or fame remain the kind and wholesome people they started out as. God speed Andy Griffith, son of Carolina and common man

D

mr griffith is someone i admire he is my favorite actor
i been watching his show matlock for many years and
today i feilt so sad today when i heard the news god
will take of him you be miss alots my sympathy goes out to his family.sorry

Glyn Godwin

I loved to watch the old Andy Griffith Shows. I was so saddened that as a senile elderly man the Obama people persuaded him to prostitute his legacy with that pathetic, sad pro-Obamacare commercial.

Heckler

That's one less vote for Obama..... Oh wait, chances are he'll still vote.....