Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

L Green

Icon of my youth - wish he was for today's young people.

Ric Starnes

OBAMA CARE SPOKESMAN DEAD!

SN

Too bad his last two projects were 1) Getting oral sex in an old folks home and 2) Ronnie Howard having him shill for Obama, bastardizing the Andy Griffith character. (Not good Opie!). - Nonetheless, RIP to a great one!

dbowdenlr51

Growing up here in the South during the 1950's and 1960...'s, as a kid, Andy Griffith and Dizzy Dean were the only two persons on television who didn't talk with an accent! He will be keenly missed.

KellBell

"Awww, Aunt Bea, that was goooo'oood!" RIP Mr. Griffith, absolutely loved and grew up on your shows. :(

Noonespecial

You will be sorely missed by your legion of admirers, Mr. Griffith.
Men of your character are a rare occurrence.
Goodbye and rest in Him,
A Fan

kevin

All that's good about American entertainment is passing away. Go with God Andy and Join Barney,aunt Bee,Floyd,and the rest up there waiting. rest in peace and thanks for the happy memories of being part of Mayberry.

Tomas Pavelka

please visit Andy's online memorial and contribute with a memory so we can make a HUGE tribute!
please share!

Dutchmann45

Until a couple of years ago I thought a lot of Griffith until he went on the air to support Nationalized Healthcare. I thought,,,is this the same Andy Griffith that so many people liked and thought was a common man? After a little investigation I found that our dear sheriff was a Total Left winger and involve with a lot of said Loons. Sad,,I used to like him too.

Paul Tate

I still laugh at Andy Griffith's routine titled, "What It Was Was Football." He was also entertaining in the movie, "No Time For Sergeants." Thanks.

P

Watch his shows for many years. Loved your southern accent. You will be missed. RIP

P

I grew up watching mattock. To this day I still watch it. Loved your southern accent. You will be missed. RIP

bob1639

God Bless You Andy. How much I miss your work and the wholesome kind of entertainment that is so lacking on todays TV. Rest in Peace. Though we have never met, I feel as though I have lost a friend.

Mayberry Fan

Another Great American passes on. RIP Andy, you will certainly be missed. I miss Mayberry...

sam M