Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

Johnny Victrum

R.I.P TO TOU ANDY AND FOR SHOWING PPL HOW TO BE A REAL FAMILY MAN!REST IN PEACE-U'VE WORKED HARD AND WAS A ROLE MODEL TO ME!GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bud

Not soon enough, for that liberal A-hole

brenda shaffer

I truly hated to hear of hie passing! His humor and talent was clean and down to earth fun...I'm gonna miss him, Rest in the arms of Jesus, Andy .

Ric Starnes

OBAMA CARE SPOKESMAN DEAD

susie

Ron Howard is a fraud. He never cast Andy Griffith in any of his films, did not bother to honor him in NC and distanced himself from his childhood occupation. A total phony and snob.

pc

Maaaaaatloooooock!

Gerard314

I heard he was buried the same morning the 911 call was placed by his wife. Doesn't that sound a bit odd?

John

Loved Andy. And his wonderful appearance in Brad Paisley's video "Waiting on a Woman" is great. Check it out for a real treat. RIP and be with God's Peace.

John

John

Kifferslady

When I heard this I had to sit down. Had a good cry. He was a big part of my life growing up. I loved his Andy Griffith Show. The family values of it reminds me of simpler times. I still watch the re-runs and will love them forever.

He will really be missed. RIP Andy Griffith!!

Dallas

Am I the only one who thinks dead is a volger word. I much more would like the turm passes away or went to a better place. Even if there isnt such a place who cares dead is a volger word!!!

THE BEAVER

I like how Andy took up for Barney, that couldn't use a gun. Andy gave Barney only one bullet for his gun, and made him keep it in his shirt pocket. LOL

THE BEAVER

RIP, sweet man. We all will miss you !!

meemee75

Wow what an actor. I remember watching Mr. Griffith when I was younger.