Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

Danielle

How sad. The statue is in Pullen park, it was erected in 2003 and is like the one in Mt. Airy.

JFRA

Actually he wasn't on Mayberry R.F.D. That's what made it different from The Andy Griffith Show...no Andy. RIP Maybe you never have to eat Aunt Bee's "kerosene cu***bers" again.

April

So sad:(

JT

RIP Andy.
THE ANDY GRIFFITH show is still one of my all time favorite shows. You provided many happy years of enjoyment. I'll see you in the resurrection!

dennis watkins

andy,you left this world a better place,thanks for the memories.meet ya at the fishing hole.

Lisa

Nooooooooo!!!! I'm sooooo sad!!!!! RIP Andy, I love you so much!!! :(

Deb

RIP Andy!!!

chooprom

TMZ loves when someone dies!!!! man that sh-t makes a great lead headline!!!!!!!!!!!

"Find me more dead people!!!!"

Harvey Levin

Dallas

Andy Griffin was a great Icon and person, I'm sorry to not see him with us anymore.

Tai Pan

R.I.P. God Bless you. Thank you for all of the memories.

Pat

Thanks for many good times and laughs

whatever

I had seen several biography's on him and he was an ASS.

R. Cortez

I liked the guy but I honestly thought he was much older. Damn he looked in his 80's during Matlock.

$$

Thank you Mr. Griffith...

Airmail56

Andy was about the best Father example we ever had. Honest, caring. hardworking and always there to lead a helping hand. Hollywood has failed to equal this mans 60 year example to us all. RIP an American Hero.