Andy Griffith

Dead at 86

7/3/2012 9:25 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/3/2012 9:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
R.I.P.

Andy Griffith has died.update_bar
8:15 AM -- Ron Howard ‏
just went to Twitter to post a message about his friend Andy Griffith ... writing, "His pursuit of excellence and the joy he took in creating served generations & shaped my life I'm forever grateful RIP Andy."

0314_divider_graphic
Andy Griffith
, an icon of TV, has died ... this according to Andy's close friend, former UNC President Bill Friday.

Griffith, who became famous for "The Andy Griffith Show," passed away at his home in Manteo, North Carolina this morning.

Friday broke the news to WITN News in North Carolina.

In addition to starring in his show and producing the subsequent "Mayberry R.F.D.," Griffith was a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.  Of course, Griffith also starred in the long-running series, "Matlock" and often made guest appearances in other shows, including "Dawson's Creek."

There's a famous statue of Andy and Opie -- played by Ron Howard -- in Raleigh, North Carolina.

Griffith was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by George W. Bush in 2005.

0703_andy_griffith_remembering_footer

It's Dave

He shall be missed.

Just a note.... Andy didn't star in Mayberry R.F.D. He was an executive producer of the show and made 5 guest appearances.

jeasterw

This breaks my heart! I have watched Andy Griffith from the time it first came on TV! In 2004 my husband and I were on the way to PA and accidently came upon the town of Mount Airy, NC where Andy was born and raised and what he based Mayberry on. We spent the night in a motel there and spent the next day looking around. We made a picture of ourselves in the back yard of the house where Andy grew up. Such a sad, sad day! Rest in peace, Andy! You will be missed by so many of us who grew up watching you and Opie and learning so much from you. Prayers to Andy's family.

Heather

So long, Ang.

Jack

He was a good actor but he went nuts a few years ago and campaigned for Obama. So F*** You, Andy. And Opie, too.

Fred

Thanks for the memories, Andy. We've lost another true icon. My best to the family.

John

Loved Andy. And his wonderful appearance in Brad Paisley's video "Waiting on a Woman" is great. Check it out for a real treat. RIP and be with God's Peace.

Jeff

So different from many stars of today...you were dignified and a great role model. RIP

Landrey

I will never forget the look on your face when you came backing in to the dock at orgian inlet on the charter boat named the CHIE_CHIE with all them tuna.Happy sailing my friend.

debbie

loved andy griffith always made me think of my dad. he will be missed , so very sad. rip andy

lljpence

Thank you.

Roxy

I am heartbroken. Rest in peace.

Dawn Jones

RIP Andy Thanks For all the memories !

carol

So sad. Thank you for all the memories. He's reunited with Barney now.

herb ray

rip Andy They like you any you anyone are more!

Maverick

RIP, Andy.

Thanks for bringing us one of the finest TV shows ever.