Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

Ashlyn

Good for him. I hope the rap community embraces him and is not too harsh on him. The world would be a better place if people had acceptance, love, and tolerance in their hearts instead of hate, fear, and prejudice.

MK

"The age has been changed to protect others." Is it time for Kanye to come out? Rumors have swirled forever.

MK

I guess Kayne's next. They spent a lot of time together and looked very happy doing so.

sptaz99

It is impressive how intelligently and tenderly worded Frank's writing is. Unfortunately, Tyler sounds like an incoherent moron.

daisy

wow. wow! it is incredibly brave to reveal something so personal, knowing there will be people in his business and fans who will judge him. that feeling of freedom must be amazing - good for him!

Dee

Why is this news?

jeff

I bet the one with long hair, wee man? oh Lil Wayne, he looks gay as liberace

Who Knew

Good lord if you're switch from all Kartrashian all the time to all gay all the time it's time to giggy up on out of here.

Quinn

I still think some of the straight members of Odd Future are still gayer than Frank:-)

Cheetara

"My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That **** Is Difficult Or Whatever."
Okay TMZ how do you censure f***** and n**** but not ****???

sister_mary_rotten_crotch

Good for you Frank.Besides, this wasn't a secret per se if you listen to his music. Its a must to read the entire letter, its a beautiful thing.

Andy

Interesting, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't these tools (odd future) bash gays???? Figures, everyone who publicly bashes the gay community are the ones tapping their toes in the stalls. So with that said, shout out to Larry Craig.

Sabrina

Awesome :-)!

No Name Jane

It's not every day you read such a beautiful and eloquent statement.

SiouxCityBoy