Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

ima toole

Are Kanye West and Tracy Morgan gay?

Anya

I commend him!! Hopefully someday soon a person's sexual orientation will what it should ...... their own personal business ..... and not effect their chosen career.
And for you religious fanatics..... God made us all, who are you to question or judge Him ?

go home!

Good for him, everyone should be comfortable in their own skin, but for it being headline worthy? I don't even know who this man is and never heard of him.

jason

"sleep I would often share with him" whf?

BRET

Dirtbag ***s like you spread AIDs to decent straight people!

Ki lo

Good for Frank Ocean!!! I love his music and that's all that matters.

Mick

Lots of black singers and rappers are living life on the 'down low'. They aren't coming out because of the repercussions. Just google the ones rumored to be gay, it's a long list.

Homie G.

He's such a ****sucker.

ohreally

Wow, just read those excerpts and what an extremely gay sounding letter. Eh *shrug*

But good for him though. Land of the free.

Eric W

I like boobies, i don't get it.

Shells

What's with all these mass revelations ( not just in music)! Interesting year indeed;)!

Shells

What is with all these mass revelations;)!

pepekale

That might be the end of his rap career then

tree

First of all, TMZ has the worse website design on the planet. The website is too graphic intensive and confusing to navigate through. I have never heard of this guy. If he likes men that is his business. I don't see the point in telling everybody you are gay. Now that you know what difference does it make in your life?

jo

First, my respect to him for this move. To avoid more wasted years of tabloid gossip, rumors and coming out on HIS terms with dignity and self respect, I've not heard of him before now but I can only imagine he is agreat lyricist. Take the path of TRUTH and FREEDOM and not lies and hiding from fans with beards and PR whitewashing. Again, good for him. Hope this helps others especially young men in the black community.