Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

high

Gays love blacks and blacks love white people

haskel420

BEING GAY IS A CHOICE

Sarah

This is not "breaking news" TMZ and who the hell is he anyway? Ive never heard of this guy in my life. Me thinks this is just a big fat publicity stunt to get his name out there.

AlwaysMe

He is not bisexual, he is gay...straight like that! Never heard of this dude, but I wonder if this will ruin his non existent career?

Tee

Beautifully put Frank......tyler, you need to work on it, lol.

I luv u RPattz!

DMX is next.....lol

Marie

Now that the ice has been broken, Chris Brown can come out too! Yeah!

Jah36

Hopefully he gets the help that he needs. This is what happens when society embraces amoral behavior.

james

Lil Wayne will be the next rapper that come out lol u wait and see

AllMySophmoresSayYEAH!!

definitely the first one to ADMIT it............trey songs is NEXT

ENRIQUE

Next to come out will be as follows Kanye West, Chris Brown,Usher, John Legend.

ENRIQUE

I'll bet Kanye West is butt budy.

yeahwhateva

'Hip hop star'? Who is this guy?

Oh A 💛💋

Omg ahhh final someone being honest !!!

mark

wow...dude's got some serious balls. interested in seeing how the community of dumb, ghetto-proud rappers reacts.