Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

West Vasquez

This website must be run by republicans because they are the only people that care about gays and who is gay and anything else that is gay; because most republicans are gay. Self hating gays trying to keep other gays down by ridicule or other means like this website that has nothing better to do than comment on who is gay.

Rich

Who the hell is this guy. Another Rap Crapper... Don't we have enough?

Rich

This will REALLY upset these RAPPERS...who ALL wanna be GANGSTAS. What a load of CRAP. They are all fake...including the WHITES who pretend to be Black Rappers

buzz kill

So, TMZ who are the contestants for tomorrows "QUEEN for the DAY"

Nasious Cordova

So many outtings as of late.. who will be next? My vote is one (or possibly all) of the boys in One Direction.

Jes

WHO CARES?

john johnson

the funny part is there are PLENTY of hip hop artist that either tried homosexuality or are acually gay: kanye, jay-z, lil wayne, missy elliot (huge surprise there), mc lyte, da brat, queen latifah, lil kim, foxy brown, lil bow wow, jim jones, nortorious big, tupac, dmx, 50 cents, salt & pepa, fresh prince, lil bootsey. thats just a few, if you look at their past histories, you won't find any surprises about their sexual escapades.

omegabeta

I'm not sure I agree with TMZ's assertion that he's a hip-hop artist, as my understanding has always been that he's a lyrycists. But never the less, BIG UP to Frank Ocean!!!! Life's too long to pretend you're something you're not....and hey, you just got a new fan who is going to seek out your music now.....

hmmmm

so he's a butt pirate....keep it moving

joda

See Kanye, it's ok to come out. That cupboard is almost as dark as Kim's soul.

thetruth

now it's time for Kanye to stop the Kardashian lie and bust out da closet too...

wow ew

WHO???

Let me know when a hard core thug gangster rapper comes out!!! He won't if he knows what's good for him.

Locoh

I commend frank for his bravery both in the rap industry and the real world... A lot of people need to sit back mind there own business and stfu. Worry about them and let the lgbt community live and be happy!

Locoh

U people are aholes worry about ur miserable lives and let him be him

Cujeaux

I'm pretty sure Kanye is gay also, and Kim's his beard. Shell figure it out after the next bridezilla wedding.