Singer Frank Ocean

My First Love Was a Man

7/4/2012 8:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0704_frank_ocean_getty
Kanye West collaborator Frank Ocean -- from the rap group Odd Future -- has just declared he is gay ... or bisexual.

The revelation makes him the first hip hop star to publicly address a sexual attraction to men.

Ocean -- who collaborated with Kanye and Jay-Z on "Watch the Throne" -- posted the long, dense message on his Tumblr this morning, writing, "Four summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too."

"We spent that summer, and the summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I'd see him, and his smile.”

“Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating to the women I had been with, the ones I cared for and thought I was in love with.”

He added, “I don't have any secrets I need kept anymore ... I feel like a free man.”

There has been a lot of intolerance in the hip hop world toward gays and bisexuals, so Frank's disclosure has enormous importance. It will be a bellwether for other stars who are considering coming out.

Frank's Odd Future band mate Tyler the Creator tweeted after Frank posted the message, writing, "My Big Brother Finally F***ing Did That. Proud Of That N***a Cause I Know That Shit Is Difficult Or Whatever."

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

temesgen

ass hole stuped

Kim T

Whoever you are Frank Ocean, good for you. Though interesting how I never heard of him until today and he has an album coming out soon....@_@

TwitterMeNthaFacebook

I wonder does he like fish *****.......(for those of you who don't watch south park, that is a quote from the hit TV show...the episode where Kanye west was the butt of the Joke: Do You like Fish ***** (sticks)??? Ooooh you must be a Gay Fish!!)

FletchGuy

Wow so much wrong in this story. First he is not a hip hop star. Neither is his group. They are at best unknowns on the way up but have plateaued regionally. There have been several more known names who are rappers not hip hop emcees who have been openly gay and each one after announceing has lost their career. If he is happy fine but he should know his career in hip hop is now officially over.I don't make the facts but that is what it is.

butler3880

You wont say something against 50 Cent, so why comment here?(about how you feel about somebody being gay) It wouldn't happen f cowards. You know somebody in your family gay you hate to be around, too?

Markusmatt21

FAAG

HG

wierd

Gloria Franzen

We live in a nation of freedom and liberty to all. Good for u.

tpc

i swear some of you ppl are so STUPID...he's a ****ing singer NOT a rapper...WTF???!!!

BlahHead818

Frank Ocean is lucky he came out during a time where being gay is so mainstream. Kanye's next, dude's standing in the closet with the door open.

chris

NOT BUYING IT. COMES OUT A FEW DAYS AFTER ANDERSON COOPER & A FEW WEEKS BEFORE HIS FIRST OFFICIAL ALBUM?! C'MON! PUBLICITY STUNT ALL THE WAY

TOLD YOU

TOLD YOU !!!!!!!! ODD FUTURE IS NOT HOMOPHOBE SO SHUT UP ABOUT THEM BEING AGAINST GAYS AND BISEXUALS !

One delajuan

That dude is going to burn in hell! That's right I said it,I'm judging. Anybody care to pick up there bible and read it for a change?

Luke Styles

WTF? Now if Pac was alive I know he be on Kanye West's neck about this new gay rapper talking about "MY FIRST LOVE WAS A MAN" what a shambles for the hip-hop community that is suppose to be about family not bisexual lust....hip-hop was made for expressing the roots of our culture and no where in negroidality have I ever seen the black man as being gay might as well let the old white slave master put his dick in ya mouth while ya at it. We fought to be looked at as men not girls...WTF? I am an artist and I am disgusted with the out come for our urban future....when Ice Cube was rapping that was a no no in the West Coast and should still be. Leave your comments at www.reverbnation.com/lukestyles on how you feel about this absurd event taking place on our hip-hop leaders.

Destiny Equality

my first love had boy parts too why is this such a big deal. first of all you don't get to choose who you love i am obviously a girl and am expected for that to be my first love. and this is old news anyway....

Previous 15 Comments | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8