Katie Holmes

I Don't Want Scientology Interrogating Suri

7/4/2012 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0703_katie_suri_getty
Katie Holmes
desperately wanted to save Suri from a form of interrogation practiced by the Church of Scientology that she was steadfastly against ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to Katie tell TMZ, back in 2005 she had witnessed Tom's other kids participating in a Scientology ritual she found to be troubling ... and feared Tom would drag Suri through the same process.

Ex-Scientologists call the process "sec checking."  Here's the way it works.  The subject holds electrode handles on a device called an e-meter and is then asked a series of personal questions that help the Church locate "areas of spiritual distress."

0703_the-e-meter
Some ex-Scientologists claim the questions include:

-- What has somebody told you not to tell?
-- Have you ever decided you did not like some member of your family?
-- Have you ever bullied a smaller child?
-- Have you ever lied to a teacher?
-- Have you ever done something you were very much ashamed of?
-- Have you ever refused to obey an order from someone you should obey?
-- Have you ever gotten yourself dirty on purpose?

During the process, a person called an "auditor" collects e-meter readings.

Several ex-Scientologists have come out against "sec checking," claiming it's a mild form of psychological terrorism designed, in part, to get children to report on their parents.

We're told Katie would have none of it and it is one of the reasons she broke from the Church and ultimately Tom.

Truth

THE SO-CALLED E-METER IS BASICALLY A LIE DETECTOR TEST IN REVERSE OR THEY CALL IT A "TRUTH TELLER". TOTAL WACK JOB. AGAIN WATCH BBC UK PANORAMA'S JOHN SWEENEY DOC ON THE CULT. AT 15:00 MARK HE SHOWS HOW THE E-METER WORKS WITH FORMER HIGH RANKING OFFICIALS OF THE CULT. CHECK-CHECK-CHECK IT OUT...
#TRUTH!!

Ryan

The other big Scientology Hollywood man ( there are a lot) is guess who? John Travolta wounder why it took so long for his activities to come to light? and why Kelly Preston has not left his ass? I ' m sure anyone that threatens to out John gets a visit from the goon squad. The only problem I have with this situation is Katie must have know about part of this. I m done with Tom crusie...I think most people are at this point.I have no interest in seeing any movie he stars in, and after Rock of Ages I'm not alone...talk about a major FLOP!

Truth

@RYAN... KELLY PRESTON WONT LEAVE TRASVOLTA'S ASS CAUSE SHE'S DEEP INTO THAT SCI-FI SH*T HERSELF!! AGAIN, EVERY1 NEEDS TO VIEW BBC UK'S PANORAMA DOC ON THE CULT WITH JOHN SWEENEY. THE OPENING SEQUENCES OF A HIGH LEVEL CULT MEETING SHOWS KELLY PRESTON SITTING THERE WITH OTHER FAMILIAR CELEB FACES. ALSO, THE DOC TALKS TO A FORMER HIGH LEVEL "AUDITOR" WHO INTERROGATED TOM CRUISE, KIRSTIE ALLEY, AND JOHN TRAVOLTA. STARTS @15:00 MIN IN...
TRUTH!!

Bitch please

Tom needed to be put all his energy and dedication towards his wife and child. Not some crazy brainwashing cult. Some people have money but no brains. If he genuinely loved and respected Katie, he would have chose his family not some looney cult.

Faye

Wait a second. She witnessed this being done to Tom's other kids in 2005 yet she still married him in 2006? I'm glad she's getting out. I personally think him jumping on Oprah's sofa would have been enough to make me run for the hills. But it's a bit strange that she saw this 7 years ago and still married the guy.

Bitch please

This is no different than joining a gang. He chose to lose his wife and the mother of his child to a gang. Pathetic. He needs to get an MRI or an Xray of his brain to try and see what part of it is missing or if theres any foreign objects there. Maybe he has a chip in this brain that Miscavige or whatever his name is planted in there.

Marianne

Katie, good job on getting out. I remember hearing when you got married though in your vows they mentioned accepting the religion and when I heard that I yelled out NOOOOOO. Figured there would have been trouble with it. Hope you can get out. I love Tom as an actor and seems pretty normal outside of acting but ya all this other stuff scares me. Good luck

TMP

I'm glad that she's getting herself and her kid away from all this craziness BUT... she KNEW that Tom was nuts when she married him.. she KNEW that he was involved in this cult/church... so why marry him, have a kid with him and spend so many years with him to turn around NOW and say she doesn't agree with the church or Tom's views. It's clear that Tom is crazy.. but it was quite clear back then too...

janet

Katie Holmes will do whatever she can to protect her 6 year old daughter from the Scientology cult. Holmes is no longer nieve. She is taking her life back and protecting her daughter.

Superman

TMZ is really playing up this sole custody to get away from Scientology angle. They got their first story wrong about the sea org cruise ship. So now, they pull out the "terrorist" interrogations for the children to tell on their parents.

You can forget about Katie getting sole legal custody of the child. Judges rarely give sole custody. One parent would have to be a druggie or a criminal for the other to get sole custody of a child. And for her to say she doesn't like his religion won't do. Not to mention, she married him knowing he was a Scientologist and then, she also joined Scientology for a couple of years. We can argue that Scientology is some cult, but, so far, they are non-violent and Tom Cruise isn't holed away in some compound. I don't know what crap they do for their Scientology religion, but in the end, it will be joint custody of Suri and it doesn't matter if she filed for divorce in New York or California.

Gretel

Good thing I'm not a Scientologist. They would have taken my brain out of my skull by now. The questions say "ever." EVER? Jeez I used to bat my little brother around when I was 5 and he was 3, so I guess it's even a "yes" to the bully question.

This Tom and Katie thing is getting out of hand though. All of the things reported are almost all conjecture and speculation, so take it with a grain of salt, folks.

voice of reason

The more I find out about scientology the more it freaks me out. I watched the BBC do***entary about it and it left me deeply disturbed because I see no difference between that “wacko scientology church” and any other cults were gullible people follow some madman and set up a camp in the forest, separate themselves from the rest of the world and devote themselves, their money and their families completely to some “guru” and his nuts visions. Oh, no, I actually spotted one difference: scientology is loaded with Tax-free cash so they can set up a camp in fancy locations. The concept of “auditing” is just wrong and on all of the levels. No wonder people fear leaving that crazy cult, I bet after few “lie detector” sessions auditors have enough dirt on each of their members, their families, friends, colleagues, neighbours even family dog. I used to have crush on Tom Cruise myself (after Top Gun), I can understand Katie silly infatuation and I am sorry she got it so wrong. One word of advice Katie...RUN

Liza

I'm surprised Harvey Levin is running this and other smiliar stories (pro Katie, anti Scientology) because I feel like Harvey is totally pro Tom. It's getting tiresome hearing him and select others in their newsroom claim Katie is in it for a big payday. I find that sexist and totally incorrct. If you can't see that she is doing this to protect her child, then you must be blind. She is in total momma bear mode and so far, seems to be doing everything to protect Suri. It's all about Suri. And if she goes after him for a boatload of child support GOOD FOR HER. Tom is rich beyond anyone's imagination and child support amounts should be based on that wealth.

TEAM KATIE!

4alwayz30mzone

wonder where the weigh in from John Travolta is on all this?? he is not defending or supporting his Religion...guess he's got his own battles going on right now to worry about TomKat and poor little Suri and this cult

Gretel

It drives me crazy that Scientology is called a "religion." Since they won't call it what it is ... a cult ... it should be called "a lifestyle." Oh wait, I forgot, you don't get tax breaks for being a lifestyle. My bad.