Ernest Borgnine

Dead at 95

7/8/2012 2:17 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0708_Ernest-Borgnine_getty
Ernest Borgnine, the legendary actor perhaps best known for his role in the movie "Marty," passed away today at the age of 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

Borgnine won an Oscar for "Marty" in 1955 and also starred in movies such as "From Here to Eternity" and "Bad Day at Black Rock."

On the small screen, Borgnine played Quinton McHale in the 1960s show "McHale's Navy."

Borgnine served a total of 10 years in the United States Navy, the last four coming after he re-enlisted when the U.S. entered World War II.

0709_ernest_borgnine_remembering_footer

big'un

RIP Ernest. Your movies were great and I still watch McHales Navy.

John

RIP Ernest! what a pro!

Peony459

RIP Ernest! One of my favorite actors.

sidithers

Escape From New York was a cool movie

See ya down the road Cabbie

Kari

I was a huge fan. And he seemed like such a great guy. Rest in peace.

Allie

We have lost so many of the truly great actors recently. He will always be "Mr. Rogo" from the Poseidon Adventure" for me. A great talent, a good man and prayers for his family.

bjay

I always loved this man. He was a wonderful actor. Even his occasional guest voiceover in Spongebob as Mermaid Man was great. Made me laugh whenever i'd watch it with my kids. RIP.

Kenneth34

I don't give a damn about Ernest I'm glad he is dead

jwoolman

Geez, now I really feel old as dirt. I remember him in McHale's Navy first-run AND as the great Mermaid Man (with Tim Conway as Barnacle Boy) in SpongeBob Squarepants. He will be missed.

ambelamba

Good night, Mermaid Man...You will be missed. RIP.

chzbrgrmachne

I know this dates me but I remember him as Dominic Santini on Airwolf.

StarryStarryNight

awww...i loved mchale's navy.

and remember him in the poseidon adventure? he was really good in it!

Cindy

He never seemed old, even recently. Thank you for making us laugh with McHale's Navy.

Cat19

I never saw McHale's Navy. I remember Mr. Borgnine from the tv show Airwolf. His character's name was Dominic Santini. I loved him on that show. And became a fan of his for years. Hollywood has lost another great actor. Rest in Peace Dom!!!!

NobodySpecial

Anybody remember when MST3K showed "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders" and would rip on him. Bad movie but I still liked Ernie in it.