« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Luke Bryan

Yes, I Checked My Watch

During National Anthem

7/11/2012 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

071112_luck_bryan_launchv2
Country singer Luke Bryan admits ... he was reading from his hand and his watch while performing the National Anthem at the MLB All-Star game yesterday ... and says he can explain the whole thing.

Bryan came under fire from critics who claimed checking one's watch while singing the Anthem is plain disrespectful.

But Bryan went to his Twitter page moments ago hoping to clear things up.

Bryan wrote, "I did check my watch because I knew the stealth bomber would fly over 2 minutes in and I knew a [sic] started a little late."

As for reading lyrics off his hand, Bryan says, "I had a few keys words written down to insure myself that I wouldn't mess up. I just wanted to do my best. I promise it was from the heart."

"If I offended anyone with my approach I sincerely apologize. Anytime I sing the anthem it is an honor and my heart beats out of my chest."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Jillian

They need a professional to sing this especially at the All-Star game. This was a very boring and ho hum rendition of the National Anthem. Very disappointed.

LCS27

Country rednecks...and they're the ones supposed to be patriots...lol

MikeD

Holy - Stars and Stripes - Kamoly ! It was only 1/4 of the way through the Anthem... that I yawned and almost croaked as the timeeeee passsssed... Sooo Looong.
My God... that was a fall asleeper.. and NOT the way our Anthem was intended or should be sung. PERIOD.

MP

Much ado about nothing, as usual.

Tyrion Frost

People these days get offended over the stupidest stuff. It's a song. He checked his watch. BIG FREAKIN' DEAL.

Carl Wive

Why is he holding the mic and making ewww faces like it's his first blow job?

tucker

Makes sense to me. People find the most ridiculous crap to nit pick. Gimme a break.

Truth

OH MAN, THIS DUDE IS AN AMATEUR. THIS IS AMERICAN IDOL QUALITY. WHY ARE ALL THE SINGERS WHO DEBUTED AFTER THE MID-2000'S JUMP THE SHARK AND SOUND CRAPTASTIC AT BEST??? JUST ASKIN... #TRUTH!!

voiceofreason

It is really sad when American's that are asked to sing the American Anthem do not know the words to the American Anthem! I bet American's know the words to "The Brady Bunch" theme!

twilightmom

Yes, he is a professional and sings to large crowds every night. But...those are *HIS* songs, and he is at liberty to do them as he likes even if it means changing it up a bit.
Maybe he was nervous and wanted to make completely *SURE* that he got the lyrics correct BECAUSE people are so critical of everyone who is picked for games to sing "The National Anthem". People complain about EVERYONE nowadays, and a lot of times it's legit because someone really *DID* jack it up. And everyone will always compare one singers version to Whitney Houstons rendition. Whitney did a fantastic job that will always be remembered. But I'm sure people are honored to be chosen, and due to the critique that people issue afterwards he!!, I'd be nervous also.
Give him a break. Geesh, people!!!!! =•}.

Txtoothfairy

He did a great job! Why is this even an issue? He is a great artist, and he stayed true to the melody. I REALLY loved that aspect of his performance? There will never be a time when I hear our National Anthem that I don't think of Whitney Houston. What a voice.

smk1977

I have seen countless pictures of our president not putting his hand over his heart when the National Anthem is played so why are we worried about Luke looking at his watch????

King Beef

Better than screwing up the lyrics like Christina Aguilara.

john

I know all the words to the National Anthem but if I was singing it in front of thousands I would write a few key words down first. Plus he wanted the timing to be right. Non story.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4