« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Luke Bryan

Yes, I Checked My Watch

During National Anthem

7/11/2012 10:10 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

071112_luck_bryan_launchv2
Country singer Luke Bryan admits ... he was reading from his hand and his watch while performing the National Anthem at the MLB All-Star game yesterday ... and says he can explain the whole thing.

Bryan came under fire from critics who claimed checking one's watch while singing the Anthem is plain disrespectful.

But Bryan went to his Twitter page moments ago hoping to clear things up.

Bryan wrote, "I did check my watch because I knew the stealth bomber would fly over 2 minutes in and I knew a [sic] started a little late."

As for reading lyrics off his hand, Bryan says, "I had a few keys words written down to insure myself that I wouldn't mess up. I just wanted to do my best. I promise it was from the heart."

"If I offended anyone with my approach I sincerely apologize. Anytime I sing the anthem it is an honor and my heart beats out of my chest."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Bob

How do you not know the lyrics to the National Anthem? This country is going to hell!

Jac

If i tried singing the National Anthem in front of 100s of people I'm sure I would skip or forget some words out of nervousness. Give the guy a break. He tried.

V

He's an amazing artist period.

sarita

You knew before hand that you were sing the anthem, then you should have studied the lyrics. So unprofessional.

DON

Who Cares! Did he sing it well and get all the words right? Yes he did, how he does it or times it doesn't matter people lighten up.

Max

Well he actually sang it, did a good job and was honest about the whole deal. What's not to like?

nonya

First things First, all of you people are complaing about how he sang the anthem and yet he was looking at his clock, who doesn't notice the 2 players are talking behind the artist and showing the true disrespect. Watch the whole video and Luke You did a great job thank you for doing it and btw all you people that aren't paying attention to the artist like i said look around at the players showing the true disrepect.

uma

Sooo! that's how he used to cheat on an exam in college. Let's not forgive him, a cheater is always a cheater.

Joe

forgive him ? forgive him for what ? he didnt do anything wrong. I am not familiar with this singer at all, but he did a great job. I would like to think I know all the words to the national anthem, but if I was to sing it in front of 10s of thousands, and knowing millions were watching me on tv, I would probably forget a word or two. It was a great performance Luke. very good job !

the artist formerly known as hand turkey

Offended people offend me.

JDUB

I think it shows a lot of respect that he was very concerned and doing his best he could with getting it right.

Truth

JUST CUE UP WHITNEY'S VERSION AND YOU WOULDN'T HAVE THIS F*CKIN PROBLEM EVERY FREAKIN TIME! #TRUTH!!

Poopey Poopstein

At least he didn't check his smartphone whilst singing it.

DaveT

Nah no biggie, it's just a song, it doesn't really represent anything, just another song.

She's baaaack

If these "celebrity singers" would stop trying the one-upsmanship by making the National Anthem "their own style" and sing it with respect the way it was meant to be sung maybe they could concentrate on the words instead of their next round of ghetto yodeling.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments