Dominic Monaghan

'Swamp People' Is Cruel

... SHUT IT DOWN!!!

7/12/2012 10:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0712_dominic_swamp_people
"Lost" star Dominic Monaghan believes "Swamp People" is nothing more than "shock TV" that glorifies the senseless killing of alligators -- and it must be stopped.

Monaghan went off on Twitter moments ago about the History Channel show, writing, "If my hero Steve Irwin was around, those shows about killing alligators wouldn't be on TV. I'm gonna stop them."

Monaghan describes "Swamp People" as "death entertainment" that "continues to demonize reptiles as monsters and animals that are okay to torture and kill."

He adds, "If alligator populations need to be controlled, I understand. But the act should not be glorified on TV. Disgusting."

And according to Dominic, it's all the History Channel's fault -- "I blame the network, not the people."

So we gotta ask ...

J dawg

because its not on tv do you think they will stop hunting gators didnt he read the disclamer at the begining of each show (this is a lifestyle that dates 300 years )some scenes may be disturbing does he know that A gators are dangerous and B there not just killing them for there hide they eat them so get rid of your belts shoes and wallets the come talk to me

Annie

This show is disgusting. They may be "educating" the public but I agree that this show is glorifying the killing of animals. I'm surprised PETA isn't all over it. I hate these stupid redneck shows. What a great representation of the south. "Hey we're all dumb rednecks who like to kill things and shoot things and drink beers and we dont speak no English and we don't has no teeth!" LOL On a rant but seriously. I wish everyone would just stop watching these shows so they would go away! LOL Okay, I'm done.

tyler

this guy is a complete idiot. swamp people is to show how the people in the swamps live and i would understand if they just killed the alligators and threw them back in the swamp but they use every part of the alligator so if you have a problem with that don't wear leather or eat meat because it's the same thing

Joe

I believe you need to worry about more important things. Like who gave you that ****ED UP HAIR CUT

melisa

OK.......SHUT UP!!! First of all, how is the population supposed to be controlled? with Gumdrops and lollipos? If you want to rant about Proffit from violence why dont you go after the Shows that depict killing and raping and torture of Human Beings!!! Aligators have to be controlled they breed like bunnys! And dont bring Steve Irwin into it. Im sure he was a great man and he would choose human saftey first. YOU DUM ASS!

Tracy

The real question is: Has Dominic Monaghan lost his mind? First the random Matthew Fox rant, and now this. It doesn't sound like a show I would watch, but seriously...just turn the channel dude.

RAZZY

What about killing deer,elk,moose, or african big game ?? Isn't that cruel as well ??

Theresa

Cruel?! Really? They can only hunt 30 days a year. 30 DAYS. That is because the Bayou is OVER POPULATED with alligators. Could you imagine the kind of gator problems we might have if it weren't for these guys. This is just the cycle of life people. The gator's are well protected by laws all year long minus those 30 days. This comment is ridiculous, and I for one will never miss an episode ;)

whatd'a

Didn't he say the same thing about Matthew Fox?

Jake

I

Joseph

Instead of worrying about destructive creators that kill animals and people. Why don't you talk about pigs being tortured everyday that are as smart or even more intelligent than dogs and millions of hungry people all around the world. Swamp People is a show about eliminating over populated alligators and Hard Working men and women just tryin to make a living to support their family the best way they know how. With the show we are even more educated about alligators and I'm sure this saved alot of lives.

Shelley

The show is not digustin. Its an accurate depiction of a way of life in my home state. By state law after alligators reach a certain size they have to be killed anyway. The killing of the alligators in the show shows how those people MAKE THEIR LIVING. It is not for sport. It is not for fun. Its no difference from cow in a slaughter house. As a matter of fact the alligators have a better quality of life and a better chance of escape than the cows. He needs to get a life and a clue.

Isabel

I like the show. what they are doing is a way of life for them. no different than hunting moose or deer for food to feed your family. they are going by the law and only filling the tags that they get. even my kids love to watch the show.

Britt

He's preaching to the wrong choir. It's the wealthy that pay for crock skin boots,belts,jackets etc. Perhaps he should consider talking with the very people he works with.

Carolinatabby

You spoiled little Hollywood brat. That is a way of life for those people. They survive off of the land. It is their culture and their heritage. Who are you anyway? Trying to get your name out there again, huh? Punk.