Bieber Sued for $9 Mil

Screaming Fans

Destroyed My Ears!!

7/13/2012 2:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0712_justin_bieber_document_launchJustin Bieber's live show is painful to listen to ... so says an Oregon woman who claims she was hit with a "sound blast" at one of his concerts that  left her with permanent ear damage.

According to the suit, Stacey Wilson Betts took her daughter to see Bieber's show in Portland, Oregon on July 14, 2010.

Betts claims it was incredibly loud inside the arena thanks to Justin's shrieking fans ... but Bieber made it MUCH MUCH WORSE when he climbed into a "heart-shaped aluminum/steel gondola" which was pulled out into the crowd (below).

In the suit, Betts claims Bieber "created a wave like effect of screaming by pointing into various sections of the arena. Then enticed the crowd into a frenzy of screams by continuously waving his arms in a quick and upward motion."

Betts says the gondola acted as a "sound conductor creating a sound blast that permanently damaged both of my ears."

As a result, Betts claims she now suffers from tinnitus ... which causes a constant pulsing, whooshing shound that makes it hard to sleep. She also complains of other hearing-related damage.

She's suing Bieber -- along with Bieb's record label, the concert promoter and the arena -- and demanding $9.23 million in damages.

We reached out to Bieber for comment -- so far, no word back.

Keyser Söze

... Gonna go directly into the judge's garbage.

Gretel

That's original. I guess she's too old to claim he fathered one of her children.

Blah

She also took her daughter but the lawsuit doesn't mention what happened to her daughter's hearing.

If the daughter's hearing was also permanently damaged, they should arrest this mother for child abuse.

Selfish BIOTCH!!

Lynn317

Justin Bieber has damaged a lot of people's ears ... and not because it was too loud ... just awful.

Bloomcounty.USA

Guess she's never paid attention to the earplugs that they make available to people to protect their ears ... it's one thing if this happened at an event where there wasn't expected to be an arena filled with screaming hormonal tweens, teens and (presumably) young women, but if it's a concert in my opinion it's "buyer beware." Sad that she's got permanent damage, that sucks, but why in the world did she not grab some of the ear plugs ... just in case?

cowleykid

next thing you know he will be sued for being canadian

thomas

No sane adult goes near one of those concerts without serious ear protection. Even the teens are likely to be suffering hearing damage from excessive exposure to noise (i.e. Bieber's singing)

Jen

Hello. Simple logic - buy a set of EARPLUGS and wear them.

lat

While I think it is ridiculous to sue over going to a concert, I do agree with how loud is show was. Took my kids that same year and the sounds, not only the screaming fans but the sound system was deafening! My kids actually had to use makeshift ear plugs. But you go to a concert expecting noise!

mousetrap

I went to 3 Led Zeppelins concerts on their 1973 tour and sat in the first few rows on 2 of them. And my hearing has never been the same since. I know for a fact most of these musicians are half deaf themselves now. I think it is what the legal field calls "assumed risk". Kind of like when you go to a baseball game, it goes without saying you may get struck by a ball. If you go to a concert, it is assumed there will be very loud and amplified sounds. You got no case. End. Next.

mousetrap

I think that is what defense attorneys call "assumption of risk", if I can remember correctly from my stupid law 101 college course. Kind of like when you go to a baseball game it is assumed you might get hit by a ball, etc. Shoot, almost all of the great rock stars from the 70's are half deaf themselves. I know Jimmy Page and Robert Plant are. If you are going to go to a concert, there are going to be some very loud, amplified sounds.

Kabala

Those heart-shaped aluminum/steel gondolas will get ya every dam time. LOL

kathy

Now what was the point of TMZ to post the video of the concert? Is it supposed to sway people and think this lady has a legitimate reason to sue? That sounds like a normal concert with teenage girls screaming for their idol! I can remeber girls screaming like that for a Beatles concert, so whats your point TMZ?

Suzy

That constant pulsing whooshing sound - the woman may have blockage in her carotid arteries. Better make sure they get checked because she could have a stroke.

Laura

I've been to A LOT of concerts from country to rock and can you believe none of them were quiet....