Steven Tyler

QUITTING

'American Idol'

7/12/2012 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0712_steven_tyler_AI
Steven Tyler will NOT return to the judge's table on "American Idol" ... and has compared the show to a deranged bunny killer.

Tyler completed two full seasons on the show ... beginning in 2010.

Tyler has issued a statement saying, "After some long ... hard ... thoughts ... I’ve decided it’s time for me to let go of my mistress ‘American Idol’ before she boils my rabbit.”

The comment is a reference to the movie "Fatal Attraction" ... in which an obsessed woman kills her lover's daughter's pet rabbit.

Tyler continued, "I strayed from my first love, AEROSMITH, and I’m back – but instead of begging on my hands and knees, I’ve got two fists in the air and I’m kicking the door open with my band. The next few years are going to be dedicated to kicking some serious ass – the ultimate in auditory takeover."

He adds, "On Nov. 6, we are unleashing our new album, Music from Another Dimension on the Earth, Moon, Mars, and way beyond the stars. IDOL was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it ... Now it’s time to bring Rock Back. ERMAHGERD.”

"A.I." co-creator and executive producer Simon Fuller released a statement saying, "I completely understand his desire to get back to his life as the singer in America's greatest-ever rock band. AMERICAN IDOL will miss him!”

0712_remembering_steven_tyler_idol_footer

Spiffy

I'm so proud of this statement: I've never watched American Idol.

No comment

AI was good for Steven, it made him millions and introduced him to a new audience. He, however, like JLo were too nice. I only watched the auditions, than stopped during the final 12. They really pushed the audience to vote for certain people, and to call that one performer this year the best artist in the last 50 years was a joke.

I can say, Steven would break out in song and coach contestants vocally. However, JLo never did and I am not convinced she can sing without autotune.

Lola

Maybe the next judge won't be an over the hill pervert who hits, inappropriately and probably illegally, on all the sixteen year old girl contestants. I couldn't believe they let him get away with the things he said. Some of those fathers should have decked him, right before calling the sheriff. These shows think they are trying to be hip and current by choosing these off the wall judges. The contestants would be better served by hiring some qualified judges who know how adults are supposed to act.

John

Good news, now I don't have to look at that UGLY face on my big screen.

PopPop

America's second greatest-ever rock band . . . Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are the undisputed champs!

Becca

Maybe now they can just cancel the show? There's nothing left of it anyway. Next season another semi good looking clean cut white guy who is a little shy will win again.

Kman

Steven Tyler needs to hook up with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. 3 Stooges 2012.

Gman123

Tyler is out.....Ok AI, what "Has Been" is next on the list . I hear Vanilla Ice is looking for a job.

This show sucks....I stopped watching two years ago

IBMartinez

How 'bout Brett Michaels as a replacement?

kerrplunk

I liked ST on idol, I'm sure the censor won't miss him.

GMonsoon

ERMAHGERD, IT'S OORAHSMERTH!

Shakia Williams

I love Aerosmith! Great news!

Mike

ERMAHGERD ! ERRSMYFF TER ! ERMAHGERD !

Jack

Why is there a picture of an Opossum on this article?

big d

More like, Steven Tyler FIRED. I hope they replace him with Adam Lambert.