Oprah

Tom's Crazy Couch Stunt

Did NOT Doom His Marriage

7/13/2012 4:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0712_oprah_winfrey_launch_video
It's one of his most famously bizarre moments -- Tom Cruise jumping up and down on Oprah's couch ... on national TV -- but surprisingly, the big O doesn't think the outburst had ANY effect on his marriage.

Oprah was out in DC yesterday, when she was asked if Tom's infamous 2005 couch stunt damaged his relationship with Katie Holmes -- and she burst out laughing ... calling the mere notion "ridiculous."

In case you forgot, Tom had been dating Katie just over a month at the time ... and exploded on Oprah's show, explaining how head-over-heels he was about his new girl.

062912_oprah_cruise_launch
But here's the thing -- the incident is widely cited as evidence that Scientology had fundamentally changed Tom Cruise ... for the worse ... so it's not crazy to wonder if Katie saw red flags from the get go.

You gotta watch the clip -- Oprah's reaction is hilarious ... even Gayle gets involved.

Majestik

Bridge over Troubled Water. Sorry but that was WORLDWIDE, if Katie saw that I'm sure she was smitten that the biggest, most sought after star making THE BIG OFFICE dollars was fawning over her like that on National T.V.. And to all you IDIOTS that claimed she knew about TOm's CULT and what they were about? If I was twenty eight and saw my boyfriend doing that on National T.V. I would believe he loves me more than the two wives before and that Scientology wasn't that big of a thing to him. Come on, think about it, openly.

Googie

Proof he was crazy back then and yet Katie ignored the signs. But she thank goodness she regained her sanity.

ForTheLulz

FIRST!!!!!

TMZISAPIECEOFSHIT

Oprah, You are not relevant so stop trying...Nobody cares about you fatty!

CN

Another weird part of that show was when TC literally pushed Katie out on stage. He had both her arms pinned behind her and stiff-armed her, pushing her up on the stage. She had a goofy "I'm in love so I'm letting him do this" look on her face, but it was very awkward. The whole show was awkward. I've seen plenty of people with new love affairs, and none were THIS over the top. Watch the entire show if you can. None of it rang true to me.

The Love Sponge

I wonder what he will be jumping on when he finally comes out of the closet.

Eddie

Damn, Oprah be lookin' AIGHT back in May 2005, wouldn't you say? I'd like to motorboat those big milky brown taters right about now!

Nostradamus

Well it definitely didn't help it.
After that, everyone had suspicions about Tom.

GuitarTBM

Yeah....it didn't break up the marriage. But it was a symptom of a deeper problem.

You don't KNOW the boat is gonna crash if the Captain is drinking, but what is the likely outcome?

cobrazombie

I can't wait to see what he does for his fourth victim.

Hankster

The second he showed his strange behavior is when he went hog-wild on that sofa. Just look a Oprah's face she wanted that **** to stop... then he says he's in love with Kate and stuff.. he can't contain his gay emotions anymore.

Fat Mike

Exactly! It was his cult that doomed his marriage.

MiscavigesBitch

I was very convincing on that couch, wasn't I.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhh!

Hankster

Is Suri an Alien from another planet like Scientology says? Shoot! I have Katie"s Hair Style. This is getting good. Katie go to a Catholic church on Sunday.. please. We want to see Suri in a real church outfit for once. Your the coolest Katie

igotfleasfromtmz

Did you listen to what he said they had to eat. He found out she was pregnant it wasn't Katie at all.
He was going to be a father his first natural born.
I don't think he cared who gave him the child.
He was jumping for his daughter.
Too bad he is nutty