« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Joe Paterno

Statue Removed

7/22/2012 6:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0722_paterno_statue_gettyThe statue honoring Penn State football coach Joe Paterno has been removed from in front of Beaver Stadium.

The statue was removed via forklift as 100-150 students watched, chanting, "We are Penn State."

Penn State president Rodney Erickson announced the statue will be stored in a "secured location."

Erickson released a statement saying, "I now believe that, contrary to is original intention, Coach Paterno's statue has become a source of division and an obstacle to hearing in our university and beyond. For that reason, I have decided that it is in the best interest of our university and public safety to remove the statue and store it in a secure location."

The decision came 10 days after a report conducted by former FBI director Louis J. Freeh conclude that Paterno, as well as other top Penn State administrators, had concealed the allegations of child sexual abuse made against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky.

A new report by CBS Sports says the NCAA will hand down "unprecedented" penalties against the school on Monday morning.

Paterno passed away six months ago.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

ray

this decission is a no brainer,,, what took so long??

ray

also NCAA just announced that they would issue sanctions, but no specifics yet. "death penalty" would be good.

Faye

@Ray, no, it's NOT a no brainer. Paterno spent 60 years at Penn State doing a tremendous amount of good. It is sad that it has come to this.

taz

An obstacle to "hearing"?

INTERNET T0UGH GUY

It's about time...How could someone could know something like this was going on and not do anything about it is beyond me They all had to be diddlers is the only thing I can think of.

American Commissars

PSU also needs to shut down the football program for 1 year, and return with new colors. No more blue and white. http://am-com.blogspot.com/

Powerhouse233

As evidenced by Fay the Penn State cretins are still out in full force. "Joe Pa" was an enabler and facilitator to child rape, his so called 60 years of good mean very little when he did what he did.

mebrat24

Any one that would allow this to go on for years and not stop it are as disgusting as the the sick pervert that rape little kids. I can't believe his wife didn't know what was going on. He did not have a good soul to allow this.

queen love

Hmmm, I know Sandikkies' wife noticed those huge bank of account withdrawals.

StevenB

What took so long? It's too bad they have decided to keep his name on the library though. Since they are, they should have a permanent museum type display case inside the library detailing his crimes and his successes.

oink

Just how many boys did Paterno rape ? he is just as bad as the Colorado Theatre shooter

Muchadoaboutnothing

#UsePaternoStatueFor Toilet paper holder

smorbie

for some reason this makes me sad. I think it's because he's dead and can't defend himself. I don't doubt that he did hide the child rapes, though. And I do think Penn State deserves the death penalty for this. I just hate to see a dead man maligned when he can't respond to the allegations.

Spoch

Melt it .....

LRT

I thought they were just going to turn it around....so he would be looking the other way!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments