Sherman Hemsley

Dead

7/24/2012 1:57 PM PDT UPDATED: 7/24/2012 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Sherman Hemsley has died.
update_bar
1:58 PM PT --
Sources tell us ... Hemsley was discovered by his nurse ... who initially believed the actor was asleep. Once she realized something was wrong, she called for help.

0314_divider_graphic
Sherman Hemsley
, the actor who made the character George Jefferson famous in "The Jeffersons," has died, El Paso cops tell TMZ.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas.

Sources tell us ... it appears Hemsley died from natural causes.

Sherman Hemsley's body being removed from his El Paso, Texas home.
Hemsley, who was 74, became famous during his appearances on "All in the Family."  The spin-off, "The Jeffersons" was a monster hit.  He also starred in the TV show, "Amen."  He was also a professional singer and even released the single in 1989, "Ain't that A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley had no wife and no kids. It's unclear how he died.

0724_sherman_hemsley_footer

Mary

RIP Sherman Hemsley the Jeffersons was a good show growing up my mom loved watching u and Louise (wheezy)

Gayle Watkins

Sherman Hensley was the best actor around. He made a name for himself and will be truly missed. I wonder what happens to his estate since he had no children or a spouse? Hopefully he had a will and that he will give part of it charities. He will be truly missed!

Weezy

May you rest in peace. Thank you for a lifetime of laughs. They don't make shows like The Jeffersons and Amen anymore. I grew up watching those shows and would sneak to watch The Jeffersons in my room when I was supposed to be sleeping. I was afraid of the dark and to calm myself I would replay Jeffersons episodes in my mind. I'm about to cry right now

Tanya

Thank you Sherman, you were a great actor.

yaya

I think I could have lived a million years without seeing George jefferson in a body bag. :(

Belinda Fairley

Now George and Wezzy can be together once again

dm99

Sad day!!

fahmahsgirl

RIP....very disrespectful showing his body being hauled away....jeeezzz

Michael & Belinda Millner

WOW... So sorry to hear of his passing now our prayers go out to the FAMILY in there time of Sorrow.
RIP...... rest in peace you willl greatly be missed
Sherman Hemsley a awesome ICON in our life
Michael & Belinda Millner Of Pompano Beach Fl.

LURCH

RIP George Jefferson! Man, were losing a lot of the great acters this year!!!!!!

Michael & Belinda Millner

WOW....... a great loss now our prayers go out to his Family in this time of sorrow
we will miss this great ICON RIP...rest in peace
SHERMAN HEMSLEY

dekstar

I think he loved El Paso because we let him be a normal person no autograph signing just a wussup man. I used to see him paying his cell phone bill all the time R.I.P. CHUCO will miss him

Tonia

TO BAD! RIP SHERMAN! GOD BLESS THE FAMILY!!

RPG 34