Sherman Hemsley

Dead

7/24/2012 1:57 PM PDT UPDATED: 7/24/2012 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Sherman Hemsley has died.
update_bar
1:58 PM PT --
Sources tell us ... Hemsley was discovered by his nurse ... who initially believed the actor was asleep. Once she realized something was wrong, she called for help.

0314_divider_graphic
Sherman Hemsley
, the actor who made the character George Jefferson famous in "The Jeffersons," has died, El Paso cops tell TMZ.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas.

Sources tell us ... it appears Hemsley died from natural causes.

Sherman Hemsley's body being removed from his El Paso, Texas home.
Hemsley, who was 74, became famous during his appearances on "All in the Family."  The spin-off, "The Jeffersons" was a monster hit.  He also starred in the TV show, "Amen."  He was also a professional singer and even released the single in 1989, "Ain't that A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley had no wife and no kids. It's unclear how he died.

0724_sherman_hemsley_footer

Julio Longoria

Hi! my name Julio Longoria from El Paso, Tx, Mr. Sherman Hemsley was a good actor and funny. I had meet Mr. hemsley in person and he was a very nice person. My heart goes to him, friend's and his fan's. God bless & R.I.P. You will be miss. You are in a better place, smokeing a cuban cigar and drinking some beer's of your kind.

April flower Clifford

R.I.P. Lil Guy, u made me laff n I loved ur show when I was little, great joy u brought to me n even to this day ur show goes on...:(

sherman bell

u'll be miss sherman, take your rest u earn it .

ben

I am greatly grateful for his talent, sincerity, zeal, professional work in the "Jefffersons" . My wife and I spent a many nights watching, enjoying, and kept blessed, based upon his him and his cast! For me and mine, we will truly miss the brother.

LENA JOHNSON

R.I.H SHERMAN U WILL B MISSED

Clara Edwards Nevels

I use to laugh so much at Sherman Hemley when he played on the Serie all in the Family, with Carroll O'Connor and then with the Jefferson, and Amen as Reverend Frye. R.I.P. SHERMAN WE LOVED YOU BUT GOD LOVED YOU BEST AND CALLED YOU HOME TO REST.

linda lewis

RIP shermon(george jefferson) you will be miss i love all your shows.you was a very funny man you had me laughing at the way you dance on the jefferson show

BigMunKnee

As arguably one of the BIGGEST Jeffersons fans IN THE WORLD, I want to say THANKS FOR ALL THE LAUGHS & MEMORIES Mr. Hemsley, and God rest your soul!!

Annie Pearl Townsend

May God Bless and Keep his family is my praye! May God give them strength n they time of sorrow!

Sookie

R.I.P. so sad :(

MrHarrybawls2010

Best sitcoms
1. All In The Family
2. Three's Company
3. The Jeffersons

*Special Mention to The Buffalo Bill show starring the criminally under-rated Dabney Coleman..

Love,
A Concerned Parent

andie

I loved George Jefferson!!! Andy Griffith, now Sherman Hemsley. There will NEVER be any shows that can come close to those classic shows! At least they will live on through the re-runs. God bless Mr. Hemsley and may he rest in peace.

DizzKid

NOOOOOOO! :(

Robert

I worked for Sherman when he had the "Amen" show. He was an Amazing person and friend. I will never forget laughing so hard we cried. Thank you for all of the Wonderful memories ol friend.

Robert