Sherman Hemsley

Dead

7/24/2012 1:57 PM PDT UPDATED: 7/24/2012 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Sherman Hemsley has died.
update_bar
1:58 PM PT --
Sources tell us ... Hemsley was discovered by his nurse ... who initially believed the actor was asleep. Once she realized something was wrong, she called for help.

0314_divider_graphic
Sherman Hemsley
, the actor who made the character George Jefferson famous in "The Jeffersons," has died, El Paso cops tell TMZ.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas.

Sources tell us ... it appears Hemsley died from natural causes.

Sherman Hemsley's body being removed from his El Paso, Texas home.
Hemsley, who was 74, became famous during his appearances on "All in the Family."  The spin-off, "The Jeffersons" was a monster hit.  He also starred in the TV show, "Amen."  He was also a professional singer and even released the single in 1989, "Ain't that A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley had no wife and no kids. It's unclear how he died.

0724_sherman_hemsley_footer

Keyser Söze

I know the man wasn't a comedian, but he never fell at making me laugh.

RIP Mr. Hemsley - you will be miss.

Mikey Mike

"Hemsley had no wife and no kids."

Does the writer of this article know that he was gay? Research much? He was openly so for years. Of course he didn't have a wife.

Bassil Hashimi

I love the TV Show The Jefferson and like the acter Sherman Hemsley as he played George Jefferson and I will kee him in my prayers at all time.
Sincerely
Bassil Hasimi

Bob a Booey

"Hemsley had no wife and no kids" No duh? He was a homosexual and a great one at that!

your boss

R.i.p. Great, u da man!!! Save me a room in that deluxe apartment in the skyyy.

MP

Another American icon has passed. No matter the age it's still very sad. I'm disappointed TMZ posted pictures of the body being removed. It's unnecessary to see them.

robin

Was anything ever funnier than George slamming the front door in somebody's...Usually Tom Willis' face? You were the best Mr. Hemsley!

Cis

I am watching Amen as I am reading this.So sad. He was such a funny guy. RIP Mr.Hemsley.Thank you for all the laughs and good times you shared with us over the years.

notalawyer

Where is the latest FAKE news about Kim Kardashian?
Does this mean she is no longer front page news?

HumanNature

LOVE YOU ON THE JEFFERSON, ARCHIE BUNKER AND AMEN!!!!!

R.I.P. MR. HEMSLEY

Christopher J Holley

George Jefferson Died update

Christopher J Holley

George Jefferson Died update

angie

rip sherman ,loved the jeffersons ,great funnyman

voiceofreason

RIP Sherman! Looks like a Jefferson's reunion will not be happening anytime soon!

DARON

HE WILL BE MISSED AND BOY HE WAS FUNNY GUY,,R...I...P....SHERMAN,IT IS ALL SO SHAME HE HAD NO WIFE OR KIDS TO KEEP HIS GENES GOING ON,,,WELL R,,,I,,P,,,