Sherman Hemsley

Dead

7/24/2012 1:57 PM PDT UPDATED: 7/24/2012 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Sherman Hemsley has died.
update_bar
1:58 PM PT --
Sources tell us ... Hemsley was discovered by his nurse ... who initially believed the actor was asleep. Once she realized something was wrong, she called for help.

0314_divider_graphic
Sherman Hemsley
, the actor who made the character George Jefferson famous in "The Jeffersons," has died, El Paso cops tell TMZ.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas.

Sources tell us ... it appears Hemsley died from natural causes.

Sherman Hemsley's body being removed from his El Paso, Texas home.
Hemsley, who was 74, became famous during his appearances on "All in the Family."  The spin-off, "The Jeffersons" was a monster hit.  He also starred in the TV show, "Amen."  He was also a professional singer and even released the single in 1989, "Ain't that A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley had no wife and no kids. It's unclear how he died.

0724_sherman_hemsley_footer

LindaJay

May he rest in peace. Boy, just hearing that theme song takes me right back there. Our family had sooo many laughs. It was shocking to see a black man with so much attitude, who had his own business---seen first on "All in the Family". Always eating crow --as Weezie gave him the tsk, tsk and head shake. Loved that show. Thanks a million.

Jane

RIP Sherman Hensley. Thanks for the laughs!

mary

i loved all the cast on the jeffersons, you can watch it today and it is still one of the best shows ever. liked all the shows he was in, he just had comic timing down . thank you sherman for all the great laughs you gave us.

MikieBigEyes

Hemsley was a riot. Thoroughly enjoyed the show, his character, and his constantly rising blood pressure. One of the true icons of the 1970s.

kim is a publicity whore

rest in peace.

seagullspyrobot

I loved his show and his work. he made me laugh so many times. and especially loved his walk/strut. he brought laughter to so many people.

Mark

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. He was not young but for these days not old either. I wish he could have gone on in health for many more years.

I was one of the greats in TV! Loved by millions and was the black Archie Bunker but with money on TV. He was great and I am broken hearted after reading about his passing but I know he has gone on to a good place.

David Mann

Yes he was great. He always lit up everyone with his smile & warmth. RIP Sherman.

Steinberg

I wonder if they're going to sing the theme song from The Jeffersons at the funeral.

3Storms

Rest in peace, man. You were a good man and a great actor.

Sandy

He's finally movin' up to that delux apartment in the sky. RIP Sherman. Thanks for the laugh's. Tell Archie Bunker I said Hi!

Greg

R.I.P. Sherman Hemsley

James Allen

God has a dance he put in you so ,now that your with him do the dance r.i.p.we will miss you on the big screan

Dorothy

My prayers go out to the Hensley family.He was a great actor .He will be missed

@nelsonaduran

My deepest sympathy. He always made laugh. Good performer. RIP.