Sherman Hemsley

Dead

7/24/2012 1:57 PM PDT UPDATED: 7/24/2012 2:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

Sherman Hemsley has died.
update_bar
1:58 PM PT --
Sources tell us ... Hemsley was discovered by his nurse ... who initially believed the actor was asleep. Once she realized something was wrong, she called for help.

0314_divider_graphic
Sherman Hemsley
, the actor who made the character George Jefferson famous in "The Jeffersons," has died, El Paso cops tell TMZ.

Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas.

Sources tell us ... it appears Hemsley died from natural causes.

Sherman Hemsley's body being removed from his El Paso, Texas home.
Hemsley, who was 74, became famous during his appearances on "All in the Family."  The spin-off, "The Jeffersons" was a monster hit.  He also starred in the TV show, "Amen."  He was also a professional singer and even released the single in 1989, "Ain't that A Kick in the Head."

Hemsley had no wife and no kids. It's unclear how he died.

0724_sherman_hemsley_footer

Sin D

Awww.man this dude is so cool. So sorry about his passing. You gave us so many good times and laughs sir. RIP You will be missed !

Tony

While I wasn't a fan of "The Jeffersons" I did get to work on a pilot with Mr. Hemsley and Kirk Cameron years ago.
It was a fun and funny experience.
RIP, sir.

StarryStarryNight

he moved on up...bless his soul.

sympathy to his family and friends.

Steve

When I was in boot camp, my CC (company commander) was a perfect synthesis of George Jefferson and Richard Pryor.

Granny

I guess George is 'Movin on up' RIP Sherman, you were great.

TXRed

I loved George Jefferson! I can't forget the night he was awarded the Small Businessman of the Year Award and he was so excited to be a Black man receiving that honor...when he entered the hall where the tables were covered with tablecloths and fine china, George noticed, when everyone stood up, the room was FULL of small businessmen... short people!

steve

A FUNNY...FUNNY man, Rest in Peace George :(

Cheryl A.

Rest in Peace, sir.

CriticXtreme

R.I.P and thanks for the memories!

whitney

R.I.P. Sherman

vern dufford

Does Sherman sort of remind you of...Harvey...to far into the comments for anyone to care probably.

Edna Coughenour

Rest in peace Sherman. You brought joy and laughter to everyone that had the opportunity
to see you perform. You will be missed.

Marsha

Very sad to hear that Sherman Hemsley passed away,he was such a good actor...gave me a lot of laughs. Just looking at his expressions on his face would get me to laugh. Will surely be missed by us all.😢

Denver

He's with Weezy now..

Lawrence Ingram

RIP "George Jefferson" we love you and your comedy will live on in our hearts forever! Wow! We really enjoyed "THE JEFFERSON'S"