Russell Brand

To Be CHARGED

for iPhone-Smashing

7/25/2012 12:55 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0724_russell_brand_mug_shotRussell Brand will be charged with a crime for throwing a paparazzi's iPhone through a glass window in New Orleans back in March ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ...  the Orleans Parish District Attorney’s office has finally decided to go forward and prosecute the actor ... and will file one charge of misdemeanor criminal damage to property against Brand sometime today.

TMZ broke the story ... Russell was initially named in a police report on March 12 after snatching a cell phone away from a photog ... and firing it through the window of a nearby building.

Russell turned himself in to police on March 15 ... and explained his actions on Twitter -- "Since Steve Jobs died I cannot bear to see anyone use an iphone irreverently, what I did was a tribute to his memory."

Brand has already prepared himself for a legal battle -- as we reported, the actor has preemptively hired a high-powered New Orleans attorney to fight any possible charges in the case.

If convicted, Brand faces 6 months in jail.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Trisha

6 months for that? Ridiculous!! But I do have something to say to RB. I lost respect for you when you reprimanded Katie for bringing you up in her movie. Everyone knows who you are, but your just not THAT famous...meaning LIKED...so take the attention when you get it, gracefully. Ha dyou bothered to do your part as her husband by visiting more, you would still be married I bet.

CBG

Where is my comment?

CBG

This guy makes me want to puke. He is so disgusting. How can anyone like him he looks like **** and he is NOT funny.

CBG

F Russel Brand he's not worth the trouble to sign up with TMZ **** load of questions.

Michael P Reed

I would have grabbed the phone and thrown it too. Not through a window though. why make someone else pay but that vulture. Paparattzi are the vultures of the journalism world. They should be put in zoos for people to share at. With a sign under the cage will cause harm to all of its victims. Show me one good thing these vultures have ever done.

Michael P Reed

I would have grabbed the phone and thrown it too. I would not have thrown it though a window though. I would have aimed for a wall to make sure it was broken. These paparatzi are nothing but vultures, that should be kept in cages in a zoo, with a sign under it that says causes untold harm to their own kind.

Webbie

OMG! I looked up the word "loser" in the dictionary! Russell Brand's name we the definition! That whiny little moron has no idea what being funny means! He totally sucks!

Judith

Oh please let him get a year instead of just months. It would be a relief not to see him for at least a year.

9FOOTGOLDCROWN

My wife thinks he looks like a young Charles Manson. I can't figure out his fame. He's like a Kardashian (sic?) wanna be. He'll be toothless in a few years, he's british you know. And please remember to ask your elected representatives to support total, unconditional independence for Scotland from england and aholes like Brand.

Linda

What in the world did Katy Perry see in him.

Inkling

It's a good thing he didn't hit somebody with it or he would be facing charges of assault. His comment of why he did it is totally stupid. I don't think Jobs would appreciate his reasoning.

john roberts

He looks years beyond his age, and yes, his shtick is tiresome.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6