Dane Cook Apologizes

for Massacre Joke

-- 'Bad Judgment Call'

7/27/2012 2:39 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0727_dane_cook_tmz
Dane Cook has issued an apology for cracking a joke about the "Dark Knight Rises" massacre ... saying he regrets telling the joke ... and admits it was a "bad judgment call."

Cook just posted a statement on Twitter saying, "I am devastated by the recent tragedy in Colorado & did not mean to make light of what happened."

"I made a bad judgment call with my material last night & regret making a joke at such a sensitive time. My heart goes out to all of the families & friends of the victims."

As we previously reported, Cook's controversial joke went something like this ... The Batman movie is so bad, had the killing spree not occurred, the people inside of the theater would have been begging for someone to shoot them.

The whole thing went down Thursday night at The Laugh Factory on the Sunset Strip ... and was captured on tape. The footage was later posted to the website DailyCaller.com.

Diana

ya think ????

PT

Dane, didn't you learn anything from the Gilbert Gottfried/AFLAC incident?

♥TMZ but ...

he is very brave to do that
humour is a great life support
believe it or not
it helps people cope

Cheryl A.

We all knew you would apologize but even before the "joke" was out of your mouth, it was too late. NO foregiveness from me or ANY of the people he killed, wounded and mentally angushed for a lifetime.

Charity

He used to be so funny.

Clarissa E.

He can add that joke to the long list of all the others that aren't funny.

Linda Moore

Seems that Dane is always apologizing for something he's said in bad taste....THINK before you speak, Mr. Cook. It will really help your image or what's left of it.

Rick Rodriguez

Who gives a flying F$@% ! ! !
He's an unfunny D-bag. I hope someone shoots him with an AR-15, A shotgun and a GLOK ! !

John

What's he talking about? The Dark Knight Rises was awesome...guy is out of his mind.

Me

Dane is an idiot...uses no new material and he basically threw an incorrect bone out there to see how it would be received. Again...IDIOT. Amazingly...no one appreciated it. But GEE if they did he thought he could use it again. Sure he makes decent $ ( I would assume)...but he is clueless. Find a new job dane... Did I say you're an idiot? You are on the edge of uncomfortable with the few "dane cook" ""SPECIALS" I tolerated for a few nights. Get a different life.

CyndiChainsaW

Dear Dane Cook,

You've never been funny. How your name is even on the radar amazes me.
Furthermore, you're insensitive attempt at cracking a joke is repulsive.
Clearly no one cares for your 'humor'.
Hang up the pipe dream of being someone someday.
Big LOSER.

Kevin

I would love to see this guy get shot. Dude's a jerk, for this and the last 15 years.

Chris

He knew what he was doing. He just wanted his name to be relevant again. Well, it is now...he is STILL an unfunny douchebag.

Joi

A**HOLE!

caroline

There are certain things that should not be joked about; and obviously this is one of them. Even w/an apology, the fact that he even thought it and said it!!!
Maybe if ever loses someone tragically, he will understand the pain and he will regret saying it. I've lost all my respect for him.