'Selena' Actress

Dead at 69

7/27/2012 6:08 AM PDT UPDATED: 7/27/2012 12:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0727_lupe_ontiverosupdate_bar
Jennifer Lopez
has released a statement, saying, "I am tremendously saddened by the news of Lupe's passing! I've enjoyed her work throughout the years. She was a great actress and working with her in Selena was an unforgettable experience. She will truly be missed."

0314_divider_graphic
Prolific Mexican-American character actress Lupe Ontiveros, best known for playing the convicted murderer of the Tejano singer in "Selena," has died. She was 69.

Ontiveros was reportedly suffering from liver cancer.

Lupe's "Selena" co-star Jacob Vargas was at her bedside last night and tweeted, "My friend Lupe Ontiveros just passed away. May you rest in peace. Thank you for your great contribution to film and TV. You will be missed."

Some of Lupe's long list of other credits include "The Goonies," "As Good As it Gets," Hill Street Blues" and "Desperate Housewives" -- for which she was nominated for an Emmy.

Ontiveros is survived by her husband and three adult children.

0727_lupe_ontiveros_footer

Rob V

R.I.P. Lupe .. How about using spell check when writting your stories ..

"Onitveros was reportedly suffering from liver cancer."

Spell her last name correctly .. Please ..

SusanCoyote

I think she was the neighbor's maid in As Good as it Gets. Classic!

paul a.

She was in a great scene with Jack Nicholson in "As Good As it Gets"

"....go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all stocked up here!"

Ghostface

for those that doesn't remember in her in Desperate Housewives, She was Carlo's (Gabby's husband) mother. She was in a several episodes of season 1.

RIP.

Rebecca

My condolences to her family :'( so sad she was my favorite actress. Loved her in "Our Family Wedding" she was so funny.

Lionnnnnesssss

RIP Lupe! YOu were one of a kind!

Susan

This is sad, R.I.P. Lupe.

Betty J Enciso

R.I.P. Lupe Ontiveros ! You were an amazing actress and such a beautiful person. I had the honor to meet you on some of the plays with Evelina Fernandez and to see you on different movies and TV shows. You will be missed.

Ozzy Merc

Aww, poor Lupe. She was in so many great movies and shows. Descanse en paz

v villegas

she bit to go Im 69 to and I feel reget it from my family

Hybrid

She was great in Real Women Have Curves!

R.I.P. ✿

Nanis79

RIP Lupe, She was such a great person. I've known her for quite sometime. I had an honor to serve her when coming to eat at the place I work at. My condolence to her family. She will be missed.

lavina

prayers going out to her family and friends...

dale12

Loved her in "Real Women Have Curves." Godspeed Lupe!

R

I am a relative of hers. Yes Lupe was in the movie Selena and that role is what most people remember her from. However she was so much bigger then that role. She was incredibly and powerfully smart and so very funny. When she walked into anywhere the room just lit up. You could never ever meet a nicer, more charming and charismatic woman. Thank you for all the nice comments. It is nice to read them.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments