« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Olympian Destinee Hooker

I'm PROUD of My Name!

'People Can Be Childish'

8/1/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_destinee_hooker_getty
U.S. Olympic volleyball badass Destinee Hooker knows people are amused by her name ... she knows some people laugh ... but she doesn't care ... she believes it's a "blessing."

Hooker -- who's CRUSHING it in London right now (indoor team is undefeated!) -- tells TMZ, "When it comes to my name, I honestly find nothing wrong with it. I love my name."

Still, Destinee admits she's not deaf to the jokes ... "I have been dealing with it since I was a child. People can be childish."

There was almost no Destinee Hooker at all ... the 24-year-old tells us she nearly died at birth, and when she survived, her father was inspired to give her the name "Destinee."

"Since I was a blessing, [my father] spelled it uniquely. So I am thankful to be here and glad my Dad gave me the name."

Destinee adds, "No reporters have asked me about my name. You are the first :) thank you for asking by the way."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

BB not bb

People are bound to make jokes and think it is funny when they hear an outstanding name, but you can't expect the bearer of that name to laugh along with you. It gets really tiresome and annoying. If you have the name of a famous person, they ask if you are related to them or their relatives. It is really corny and not amusing.

The only way out of it is to give them a dirty look when you say your name or have a serious tone to your voice when you say your name on the phone. Otherwise, they feel free to share their idiotic jokes with you.

BB not bb

It is a melodic sounding name anyway, and it has persoanl meaning. I wonder if she was being sarcastic for thanking the reporter for asking about it. I have heard so many strange names that I am beyond noticing. I didn't think anything of her name until I read about this controversy.

Jen

Apparently her parents did a great job raising her; she self confidents, smart, and athletic. I honestly wouldn’t have thought that about her from her name alone.

Jackie

Well....I have heard of creepy names than that.

Level34

Sticks and stones...BUT DAMN, really. what the hell was her father thinking?

fstblk

Just hook that win girl.You can always change the name. Go ahead girl!!!!

The New Improved Sock Puppet

I think that is rather interesting because Destinee is a white trailer trash name, not that odd with whitey. It goes along with Harley and Hevaeh. Hooker ... sheesh.

Her Imperial and Royal Majesty

She has a beautiful name and obviously she is also a beautiful person.

campy

Right on Hooker. You probably know my ex. What a small world.

viktor

"Since I was a blessing, [my father] spelled it uniquely."

Blessing or not, black people always spell names uniquely.

Raejean

Wish her father had really stopped to think about the unfortunately suggestive name combination, but I've heard of less laudatory reasons for saddling kids with unusual monikers. If it's been a burden for her, she certainly seems to have held up well.

Elizabeth

Black people strangely like to spell names differently then the rest of society.

Other than that, her father wanted her name to mean something, and it has, Destinee- is a olympic volleyball player, and I hope that she remains confident,

And has enough success that it doesn't go to her head, as it has with other atheletes out in the public eye!

gamepro

its not really that funny to me

Denver

At least her name isn't Te'Destinee...

AlwaysOnTimeB

I love here name!! She should be proud of it!! It's an original.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments