« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

U.S. Olympian Destinee Hooker

I'm PROUD of My Name!

'People Can Be Childish'

8/1/2012 12:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0731_destinee_hooker_getty
U.S. Olympic volleyball badass Destinee Hooker knows people are amused by her name ... she knows some people laugh ... but she doesn't care ... she believes it's a "blessing."

Hooker -- who's CRUSHING it in London right now (indoor team is undefeated!) -- tells TMZ, "When it comes to my name, I honestly find nothing wrong with it. I love my name."

Still, Destinee admits she's not deaf to the jokes ... "I have been dealing with it since I was a child. People can be childish."

There was almost no Destinee Hooker at all ... the 24-year-old tells us she nearly died at birth, and when she survived, her father was inspired to give her the name "Destinee."

"Since I was a blessing, [my father] spelled it uniquely. So I am thankful to be here and glad my Dad gave me the name."

Destinee adds, "No reporters have asked me about my name. You are the first :) thank you for asking by the way."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

parlayer

GOOD, your families name is gold, and one should act in a manor to honor it. "LIke winning a Gold medal" and acting honerable under times of other peoples hurtfull stupidity. Keep your head up Champ.

Cheryl A.

People are idiots. You did not decide on your name. It was a gift from your father.

laffnbear

She has a loving, caring, father. I am sure many who make derogutory comments about her name can not say ythe same. Children are quite cruel out of ignorance and poor parenting. Adults are just cruel and/heartless.

LDB

Atleast its better than the woman from Japan who's last name is Take****a

laffnbear

At least not a boy named Sue.

Gretel

Maybe she's related to John Lee Hooker?

Janice

Good for her for such a great response to the interviewer, including being polite! Not something we see enough of in the media.

dd

Nothing funny about her name there are plenty of people with that name....John Lee Hooker, even on TV...TJ Hooker...just ignore the ignorant and keep doing what you are doing.

Carl

I got a good laugh out of her name when I first heard it during a match the other day.

Lori

I absolutely love how she, ever so politely, pointed out to the interviewer than he/she is being childish. "No reporters have asked me about my name. You are the first :) thank you for asking by the way." Of all the things to ask an Olympian about, this fool chose to ask if people joke about her name. I love this girl - all class!

dierdre

Wno the hell are you anyway????? Never heard of you. But i will tell you this much...Your name fits you....You look like a hooker....Actually, i take that back, You look like a DUDE....lol.....

kay g

tmz and the rest of the media are blood sucking vampires, they be on some bitch ****

hooker814

Dont worry about what they about your name its a great last name I have the same last name. I used to get teased about it all the time. Just go for the gold and be yourself.

Doe

Anasta/Dimit >>> "lion's den" tantamount/Vix40 BHills

Eventuate Malady...Per direction LPage...adumbrate Finale3

Ro

She rocks! She has been kicking some major azz for USA! She is also a LONGHORN! Hook 'Em Horns!! \m/

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments