« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mom Filed for Bankruptcy

Before Olympic Triumph

8/5/2012 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0804_gabby_douglas_Natalie_Hawkins_getty
update_bar

8/6 -- Hawkins spoke to reporters about her financial history in London yesterday ... saying, "It's my story, it's part of me. I'm not even embarrassed about it."

She added, "It shows that even though I didn't like to have to do it, I'm glad there was something there for me to be able to protect my home."

0314_divider_graphic
Just a few months before Gabby Douglas won her gold medal -- and opened the door to countless opportunities that will undoubtedly score her millions of dollars -- her mother filed for bankruptcy ... TMZ has learned

According to documents filed earlier this year in Virginia, Natalie Hawkins filed for Chapter 13 ... which is far less severe than Chapter 7. The docs state Hawkins has assets totalling $163,706.10 and debt totaling $79,754.14.

Her creditors include:
Capital One -- $1,534
Student loan -- $4,350.23
Sprint -- $158.78
T-Mobile -- $413
Orthodontist in Iowa (where Gabby trained when she was 14) -- $408

With the Chapter 13 filing, Hawkins has agreed to a monthly payment plan. She began making payments of $408/month back in February ... to a trustee who will divvy it up among her creditors.

However, with Gabby’s new found fame and the potential to make a bloody fortune, it's likely her mother will never have to worry about bankruptcy or money problems ever again.

Go USA.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

FreeFalling

Wow tmz..trying to see how low you can stoop? This stuff is nobody's business and I really dont see why there was a need to post this article.

Fools Rush In

@TMZ

This is really unnecessary, along with other athlete families putting up with this scrutiny. The families don't have PR teams and spokespeople, they have children they have sacrificed for.
Taking pot shots at our representing athletes' families is not an Olympic sport and you get a medal made of lead for a an effort that sunk like the Titanic.

Lori

What in the hell is wrong with you people?!?! Are you so desperate for money that you drag Olympian's families through the mud at the height of their joy over the amazing accomplishments of the athletes? You are disgusting. I'm done with TMZ.

customcalendars4u2

This story is just Gabby's initiation into Fame and she is being properly introduced and has officially arrived when they start to pry,prod,poke and shred into the tawdry details of her & her family's personal life. Yes it is very tasteless,but this is the cost of Celebrity and sense she is only 16 she has plenty of time to develop the thick skin she is going to certainly need for this cut throat business. I congratulate & wish her well on this new and exciting journey that is going to be both rewarding and challenging at the same time, because the people around her are going to change for both the good and the worst, but I hope her mother will remain her biggest cheerleader and her father will come out of hiding and also be there for her. Good luck kid & stay humble!

Sick of it

TMZ, I believe I need to stop supporting this site with my check in's. No one needs to know this personal information. I cannot believe how low you have gone. Yes, American families are facing incredible bull$hi% right now, yes there are more people facing problems than ever before. TMZ leave the athelete families alone. Karma is a Bi%t^h BTW

BobCIL

Harvey,

I think you would pick out corn from someones **** if you were paid.
Just like yesterdays story-this is an invasion of privacy-no matter what is legal.
Why do you have to take the shine of a beautiful weekend and try to ruin it for this kids. American kids need some good role models-you are willing to ruin this?

justin

hey harvey you are repulsive in every way

Carl

Gabby will make money but I think that making millions is anything but certain. Did Shawn Johnson make millions? How about Keri Strug? They were a big deal for a few months after the Olympics but after that you only hear about them when the next games come around.

Ben

call TMZ and tell them how you feel about this story. I did.

Nosekai

Thanks you TMZ for keepin' it real

Uneknezz

TMZ really? Why was this worthy for you all to publish?

twcsmom

TMZ, whether or not you have the specific info on what creditors Gabby's mom owes or not, I don't really think that info is relevant to the story. Many people, for various reasons, have filed bankruptcy, and that is really all that should have been shared. Sometimes, too much information makes me feel guilty for even reading the story.

NYC135

I wish I was rich so I could get all the dirty dirt in every aspect of all the people that work at TMZ...that will be so nice.

MadCharles

This woman sacrificed daily since Gabby was a baby. She had to. At times he spent to spend up to six figures to further Gabbie's dreams and talent. Sometimes you just have too many burdens to bare and yet they just keep coming and coming. The woman doesn't need this exposure.
If TMZ needs another story line how about NBC airing an ad showing a monkey in full USA Olympic gear doing gymnastics right after Gabby won a medal? It's shameless TMZ is going the way of supermarket publications.

kristenfox

Shame on you, TMZ, for posting this! This should be a happy moment from them and you sought to embarrass them for no good reason. Of course she has financial trouble, she said so herself: she's been working several jobs to help her daughter achieve glory. Shame on you!