« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Mom Filed for Bankruptcy

Before Olympic Triumph

8/5/2012 1:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
EXCLUSIVE

0804_gabby_douglas_Natalie_Hawkins_getty
update_bar

8/6 -- Hawkins spoke to reporters about her financial history in London yesterday ... saying, "It's my story, it's part of me. I'm not even embarrassed about it."

She added, "It shows that even though I didn't like to have to do it, I'm glad there was something there for me to be able to protect my home."

0314_divider_graphic
Just a few months before Gabby Douglas won her gold medal -- and opened the door to countless opportunities that will undoubtedly score her millions of dollars -- her mother filed for bankruptcy ... TMZ has learned

According to documents filed earlier this year in Virginia, Natalie Hawkins filed for Chapter 13 ... which is far less severe than Chapter 7. The docs state Hawkins has assets totalling $163,706.10 and debt totaling $79,754.14.

Her creditors include:
Capital One -- $1,534
Student loan -- $4,350.23
Sprint -- $158.78
T-Mobile -- $413
Orthodontist in Iowa (where Gabby trained when she was 14) -- $408

With the Chapter 13 filing, Hawkins has agreed to a monthly payment plan. She began making payments of $408/month back in February ... to a trustee who will divvy it up among her creditors.

However, with Gabby’s new found fame and the potential to make a bloody fortune, it's likely her mother will never have to worry about bankruptcy or money problems ever again.

Go USA.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

wow

Did you really have to put her business out there?
Really TMZ, shame on you..stick to mindless celebrity gossip please..

TexasDey

How is this anyone's business besides hers? If it was meant to take away from Gabby's all around win. It didn't. You want to expose people or post their business, stick with the celebrities who signed on for this. Leave our athletes and their families alone.

frankwhite8536

Student Loans. Destroying lives since blah blah blah....

Yesisaidit

That is it for me. I am done with TMZ. Your insensitivity and lack of respect for this family in unacceptable.

JoJo

TMZ, you found this necessary information for what reason? WTF does this have to do with this CHILD being an Olympic star? I smell jealous haters! So person who wrote this article and the rest of the TMZ bums, what has your child done lately that's great?

Kristen

WOW TMZ you have now sunk into the gutter reporting Gabys mothers money woes. This is the USA. Who hasn't had money problems the past 5 years????? There is more important news to report like how about Mitt Romney not releasing his tax returns. you are very good at digging into people's money, taxes etc. why not do that for the USA?? LEAVE GABBY AND HER FAMILY ALONE. Stop this witch hunt!!! she win a go,d medal. Let her and her family enjoy it.

Irish

You are utter jerks.Contemptible, really. Chapter 13 is a repayment structure. You saw what she owed & posted anyway. So mean spirited. How's the investigation going into Obama's college mates and his grades?

joy

Why is this important?

StuntMom

Yep, there's TMZ ranking in with US magazine, The Enquirer, and rags of the same sort. Why would it ever possess you to tear down these kids who did nothing all their lives except train so hard to bring glory to their country? The parent's bankruptcy just goes to show they will do anything to make their kids' dreams come true. Your coverage of this non news is pathetic. How can you be so hurtful? What's your motivation do publish something like this? Did none of you/your staff have a mother who taught them to be kind?

Lady Tray

I am so proud of Gabby Douglas. And to her mom I as also proud of u. I know it had to be hard sending your child off, and yes u can hold your head up cause Gabby is talented, smart n pretty as well as ambitious. Ms Gabby mom plz don't let anyone tell u that r debt problems is to be ashamed of it is a part of life n u have made a big sacrifice but it has paid off in many way so be proud of yourself cause it seems like Gabby has. Good luck Ms. Gabby mom n Gabby I hope u come back n do it again.

leslie

IN WHAT WORLD IS IT OK TO PUT ANYTHING ABOUT GABBY'S MO FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES?? A BANKRUPCY IS A PAINFUL HUMILIATING SITUATION. WHY USE THIS TIDBIT AT A TIME OF GREAT JOY AND PRIDE. THIS HAS NOTHING T0 DO WITH GABBY. THIS ISN'T NEWS THIS IS BS.

Lady Tray

amshi45

This really pisses me off, WHO THE HELL CARES that they went bankrupt. The family didn't rape, murder or rob anybody! It just proves that they are just like the rest of us.
You should be ashamed TMZ, this really sucks!

htucker51

TMZ FAIL! Our athletes represent the USA to the world. They are not entering the entertainment business. You put the dollar amounts that the parent of an Olympic Champion owes on your site? Are you kidding me??? This is how you treat our olympic athletes? Harvey Levin, you should be ashamed! DISGUSTING. SHAMEFUL.

DÉJAME EN PAZ

ME HACES DAÑO PARA DIVERTIRTE.
ESAS COSAS ME DUELEN Y ENSUCIAN MI VIDA
IR A UNAS CLASES ES ALGO SERIO, Y PARA MI ES MI VIDA REAL TU ESTÁS JUGANDO CON MUY MAL GUSTO, Y ME ESTAS HACIENDO DAÑO, NO ENTIENDO PARA QUÉ LO HACES. PEROP LO SIGUES HACIENDO, DEDUZCO QUE ES PARA DIVERTIRTE.

DEJAME EN PAZ, DEJAME EN PAZ, DEJAME EN PAZ, DEJAME EN PAZ