'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' Star

I'm RETIRING from Acting

... I Have Parkinson's

8/8/2012 9:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF
breaking news

0808_bob-hoskins_getty
British acting legend Bob Hoskins -- who played P.I. Eddie Valiant in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and Smee in "Hook" -- just announced ... he's retiring from acting after being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

The 69-year-old actor issued a statement earlier today, claiming he was diagnosed last fall. Hoskins also thanked his fans for their support, saying he had a "wonderful career."

No kidding -- his career spanned roughly 80 movies ... and his work in the British films "The Long Good Friday" and "Mona Lisa" earned him a Cannes Award, a Golden Globe for Best Actor, several BAFTA Awards, and an Academy Award nomination.

Then again ... Hoskins also starred in the 1993 live action "Super Mario Bros."

Nobody's perfect.

Delaware D

A very fine actor. I wish him well.

Mayu

1.) I wish him and his family/friends well. 2.) I actually liked Super Mario Bros. It was cute in it's own bumbling way.

JudoDave

Bob: Don't retire. Parkinson's is not immediately a Disabling Disease. I was diagnosed years ago, and perhaps the progress of Parkinson's for me is slower than for most, but I'm not ready to slow down just because of the diagnosis. There are several others in the entertainment field with this disease; Michael J. Fox and Bill Geist are notable. They won't quit - nor should you. Best of luck to you. Dave

Mag

I wish him the best. I love him as an actor and he seems like a decent human being.

Sunset

Very sad. Hoskins is a great actor and I love him in Hook. Watching him and Hoffman was like watching the actual Captain Hook and Smee, not the actors dressed up as those characters. Best of luck to you good sir.

Miss Greta

I will remember him best as Arthur Parker in Pennies From Heaven. Roll along prairie moon...

brad

hey hey back off mario bros the movie
it was awesome lol

Scrum

Super Mario Brothers rocked! Dennis Hopper was GREAT as King Koopa! Anyway, best of luck to ya Bob.

jeff

Let's not forget the cinamatic masterpiece known as "Carbon Copy" with Denzel Washington.

Emilio

Great actor. Good luck to him and his family

TheTruth

Good luck Mr. Hoskins. Thank you for the entertainment. You are a fine actor. I wish you and your family the best.

dezee209

Hey I loved him in the Super Mario movie!!!!!!

parlayer

he can even remember that he was involved?? still ok come back when your asking "what rabbit"

kidgut

An outstanding and undervalued actor. Wish him well.

CLINT

"P-P-P-Please, Eddie! Say it ain't so!!" I loved Roger Rabbit and the way they mixed cartoons with real life. Still watch it every now and then. Best wishes to Bob Hoskins and his family.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments