Joan Rivers

Marketing Genius

8/8/2012 12:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0808_joan_rivers_costco
Joan Rivers
is the MASTER of the shameless publicity stunt ... 'cause her Costco shopping-cart protest didn't just get her all over TV ... it also provided an INSTANT boost to her book sales.

We broke the story ... cops responded to the Costco in Burbank yesterday -- where Joan had handcuffed herself to a shopping cart to protest the store for not carrying her book.

During the protest, sources tell us Joan and her team managed to sell 150 copies to various customers. Since Costco refused to carry  the book, Joan was forced to sell them out of a box she kept in the Costco parking lot.  Cash only.

And Joan got a big, fat bonus -- multiple national media outlets ... including "Today" and "Fox News" ... LOVED the story and have already aired the TMZ video of Joan's hilarious encounter with police.

Bottom line ... Joan's stupid little stunt resulted in MAJOR exposure to millions of people ... and it didn't cost her a dime.

Not a bad day's work.

080712_rivers_launch

early

I almost bought the book,, but then my wife called and told me we weren't out of toilet paper,,,,maybe next week!!!

early

Thank God this hag will be dead soon!!!!!

StarryStarryNight

just an old famewh*re trying to keep her name in the news.

janet

Joan Rivers hasn't been funny for years. Cursing and swearing to try and be funny doesn't work either espically not at 79. How many books can she write saying the same old thing. How many times can she tallk about all her plastic surgeries that ended up getting her face frozen. It's nothing new, Costco isn''t wasting shelf space.

TJ

She is a very rude, and unfunny person. BUT she does know how to dress!!

Zelda

Morticia Cowghoul

LOVE HER!!!! Man...it would be a HOOT to spend an evening partying with her, Phyliss Diller and Betty White. I'm being serious. Those are some bad ass funny chicks.

Mag

Snce when is ANY business required to sell her %&$#@?? She lost her appeal for me years ago. She is now just a nasty old dinousaur!

TJ

Isn't that what Kris and Kim did ,when they were selling Kim's sex tape?? Picture it-lol

Joan Rivers

Joan Rivers has always been a vulgar individual. Her act was over once FOX fired her from her horrible talk show. Amazing how everyone she has a disagreement with is a Nazi. Frankly, she makes me feel sorry for Germans (NOT NAZIs). If I was going to behave like Joan I would say something like, "she needs to go join Edgar, if he'd have her". (See how mean other people can be Joan ...)

TJ

Desperate, much?

fragilegoods

love her for many many years.. in MY opinion, yes she is xtremely brillant.. ton of money, followers, fans, viewers etc.. she sells MORE jewelry than than zales, gordon's, kays, macy's, tiffany etc combined.... now, who's the genuis?

Robert Jay

I bought her book it's funny, but Costco does not have to sell her ****.

get a life ho

I LOVE JOAN RIVERS .,.,.,.!!

She's got Hutzpah !

myopinion

That's right Joan...Prove your point.